Black Alumni Association partners with Magic Johnson for scholarship

<p>Magic Johnson cheers with the crowd Mar. 20, 2015,  during the second round of the NCAA tournament in a game against Georgia at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Spartans defeated the Bulldogs, 70-63. Alice Kole /The State News</p>

Magic Johnson cheers with the crowd Mar. 20, 2015, during the second round of the NCAA tournament in a game against Georgia at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Spartans defeated the Bulldogs, 70-63. Alice Kole /The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

The Michigan State Black Alumni Association has partnered with Earvin “Magic” Johnson to host an inaugural scholarship fundraiser at the Detroit Golf Club on August 11, 2015.

The fundraiser will support the MSUBA endowment fund, the newly established Magic Johnson Scholarship Fund and an expendable fund for students, said Paris Ross, the National President of MSUBA. Ross said students can contact MSU to apply for the scholarships.

The fund aims at remedying MSU college students who struggle financially on their way toward graduation. Antoinette Warr, facility coordinator at the MSU Detroit Center and the fundraiser’s chair, said Magic’s new fund allows him to continue his legacy of helping college students.

“A very large percent of students have to leave college because they do not have the money to go. We want to eliminate this problem,” Warr said. “We can not put a price tag on Earvin's involvement and support. He has given in so many ways.”

The fundraiser offers multiple sponsorship packages for the public and Warr said many Spartan legends have been invited, including Mark Dantonio, Tom Izzo, Greg Kelser, Steve Smith, Lorenzo White, Sam Vincent, Adreian Payne, Mateen Cleaves, Draymond Green, Mark Hollis, Alan Haller, David Thomas, Dwayne Stephens and many more.

The fundraiser will feature a day of golf, pictures with Johnson, a full breakfast, an elegant lunch, an open bar and a silent auction.

An online-giving account is also available for anyone to donate to the the scholarship funds.

Warr said sponsors thus far include Greektown Casino, Tim Hortons, Dean Transportation, MSU Athletic Department, MSU College of Education, Spartan Fund, Avis and DoubleTree by Hilton.

“My blood is green. I am a true spartan and spartans give back; we want to help the cause,” Warr said. 

Share and discuss “Black Alumni Association partners with Magic Johnson for scholarship ” on social media.