Ingham County Clerk extends hours following marriage equality ruling

Earlier today, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a historic ruling which allows same-sex couples to marry and ensured equal respect for their marriages across America.

Ingham County Clerk Barb Byrum issued a statement extending the office's hours today to implement marriage equality, adding that she will keep the office open until the last person is served. In addition, she will be waiving the state's three-day waiting period for marriage licenses. 

“Same-sex couples and their families have waited long enough and I cannot imagine forcing them to wait a moment longer,” Byrum said. “Thanks to my dedicated staff, the County Clerk’s Office will remain open today until all loving couples, residing in Ingham County, have a chance to say ‘I do’".

Governor Rick Snyder has made it clear that state agencies will be amended to fully comply with this law.

“Same-sex marriage has been a divisive issue in Michigan and across our country," his statement read. "Recognizing that there are strong feelings on both sides, it is important for everyone to respect the judicial process and the decision today from the U.S. Supreme Court.

Visit Statenews.com for more updates.

Share and discuss “Ingham County Clerk extends hours following marriage equality ruling ” on social media.