Alumnus invents suction cup phone case

Graduating from MSU in 1998, Carl Winans took what he learned at this university and applied it. Throughout his time at MSU, Winans studied education, music, psychology, telecommunication, and ended up graduating with advertising. He liked the creative aspect of the field and felt it suited his creative personality.

Now, nearly 18 years later, Winans is the CEO of his own company, Mega Tiny Corporations, and has created a new product — the Zero G iPhone case.

“I’ve been fascinated with mobile products since 2007, when I got my first iPhone. I was looking for ways to do more with my phone, and see how a mobile accessory can help,” Winans said.

The new iPhone case has a unique nano-suction material on the back of it, allowing it to stick to nearly any smooth, flat surface. This helps users take hands-free pictures, and watch videos easier without having to hold the phone.

Wannie Park is a co-founder of Mega Tiny Corps, and has worked with Winans for years. He is especially excited for this product due to its ability to add value to the iPhone.

“We thought of what we could do to accessorize and bring value to iPhones, and we came up with this thing,” Park said.

The idea came when Winans came across a material like this, and he would stick it to his phone everyday. After some time, it clicked that this material should be on the back of his phone all the time.

Winans searched for manufacturers of the material and found one in Japan. After receiving samples, he began testing the product, and his phone began receiving some attention from co-workers and friends.

“It became really useful, and people from the office began asking ‘Where’d you get one? I’d like one,’” he said.

Winans' time at MSU certainly helped him get to where he is today. Spending five and a half years at the university and bouncing around in his studies, he learned how to be an entrepreneur at a young age.

While living in Brody complex, Winans had a T-shirt press machine, and would sell shirts to people all across campus. Additionally, he began designing things primarily in East Lansing, creating flyers for events at Rick’s and other bars.

The iPhone case is currently on Kickstarter, where the public can back the product and essentially pre-order the case. The goal is set at $25,000 and would cover manufacturing costs, set-up costs, shipping and other fees.

Share and discuss “Alumnus invents suction cup phone case” on social media.