Monday, March 18, 2024

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Why I am no longer a Spartan

By failing to refer to this weekend's celebrations as 'riots', white student violence gets excused while similar activity by the black community continues to be vilified

So, we got into the Final Four.

Great. “Woo-hoos” and “Aw, Yeahs” and other celebratory phrases abound. While I loathe to watch sports, it does brighten my day to know that our football and basketball teams are very successful. It is something that we should be proud of and celebrate. However, I think there is a darker side to our cheers and jeers.

I’d like to point out the “celebrations” on Friday night, after MSU beat Oklahoma. I got Snapchat after Snapchat of students outside being rowdy, drunk and otherwise disturbing the peace. Again, I have no problem with this. I even perhaps would have attended, if I were not asleep.

But when I saw The State News article the next day about these events, something was missing. A certain word: riot.

All of my Snapchats had the word riot in them. The yaks on YikYak called them riots. Everyone I knew was talking about riots. But where was the word? We need to talk about why this RIOT was not called what it is ... a riot.

Last year, when The State News called them “riots” they got in trouble with the East Lansing Police Department and MSU administration. So, now they can’t ... they are cowards. But in any case, it’s bad press and, of course, inaccurate when describing the demographic of said non-rioters.

White, young, college students.

The majority of campus is, of course, white. About 7 percent are black, 4 percent Latino, 4 percent Asian and 1 percent Native American. That being said, Michigan is one of the most segregated states, especially in terms of education and housing.

For many of these white students, I would doubt that they truly had a diverse upbringing, in regards to race as well as socio-economic status.

I believe this contributes to the hypocrisy of the MSU community. The reactions to these riots, and those in Ferguson and around the country — especially after the non-indictment of Darren Wilson for the murder of Mike Brown — are very different.

These are “celebrations.” No harm in a little fun. Just a group of 500 drunk, crazed and hyped-up college students burning things. We willingly videotape ourselves participating in these acts, with no fear of legal or social repercussions.

BUT when we look at the events in Ferguson ... many of my white friends denounce these “riots.”

“They should have stayed non-violent.”

“What would MLK have done? Would he be OK with this?”

“They’re overreacting. He didn’t even have his hands up. Of course the witnesses would have all lied and said he was.” This was said to me verbatim.

The “rioters” of Ferguson faced police armed with tear gas, pellet guns, bean bag guns and batons. One woman lost her eye when an officer shot a bean bag gun at her.

What were they “rioting” for, again?

The systematic oppression of their people. It seems as though people, especially white people, do not understand that this has been happening for a long time before Mike Brown.

The recent federal investigation by the Department of Justice on the Ferguson Police Department will enlighten you to the blatant racism that plagues this police force and many others in this country.

We look down on the people of color. We mock them. We tell them that their feelings are invalid. Our feelings? Our joy over winning a basketball game ... now this, this is a celebration! Worthy of potentially causing an out-of-control fire and hurting others.

But African-Americans’ anger? Unjustified. Uncalled for.

They are savages. Their suffering is not real. 

Their lives are not marred by the systemic racism in education and the legal system. Their poverty is escapable, only if they could overcome all of the odds that are purposefully stacked against them.

When I read of the riots, I was ashamed. Ashamed of my campus. Not because of the riots themselves, but because I know that almost all of these students do not see the double standard. They are ignorant, not out of lack of access to knowledge, but because they choose to be blind.

This, including all of the racist things I have heard, I no longer believe that everyone is included in Spartan Nation.

Our chant should not be “Go Green, Go White.” Only “Go White.”

Only white people are a part of Spartan Nation.

Only they deserve to celebrate without fear of police violence.

Only they deserve to feel, live and breathe without people mocking them and spewing hatred out of their ignorant mouths.

Only they are Spartans.

And so, I am no longer one of them.

The author of this letter is an MSU student who wishes to remain anonymous.

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Why I am no longer a Spartan” on social media.