Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Tom Izzo calls win over Purdue a "character-building game"

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a call Mar. 4, 2015, during the game against Purdue at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 72-66. Emily Nagle/The State News
</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a call Mar. 4, 2015, during the game against Purdue at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 72-66. Emily Nagle/The State News

It was no question for Travis Trice — Wednesday night's game against Purdue was the most physical of his career.

"That's number one, that's definitely number one," Trice said. "By far. Not even close."

What's the second most physical game of Trice's career?

"The second half of that game," Trice said.

Not a surprise, given the number of injuries and almost-injuries that occurred in the game. Senior forward Branden Dawson bumped his head midway through the first half and didn't return, missing out his opportunity to submit a signature senior day performance.

Senior guard Travis Trice, freshman guard Tum Tum Nairn and junior guard Denzel Valentine each had injury scares during the game.

That's why the end result — a 72-66 home win that positions MSU favorably with one game left before the Big Ten tournament — is all the more impressive.

Men's basketball head coach called the win a character-building game.

"'Im probably prouder and happier than I'm acting, because I got games left, but that was a gut check," Izzo said. That was a character building game. And maybe it builds character for this team for the rest of the season, maybe it builds character for them for the rest of their lives.

"Somewhere in there they know they can suck it and get it done even when some things are stacked against them."

MSU trailed by nine with 1:11 to play in the first half, but back-to-back triples by freshman forward Marvin Clark and Trice made it a three-point deficit entering halftime.

The Spartans locked down defensively in the second half, holding the Boilermakers to four points through the first nine minutes and 16 seconds.

"We played close to awful in the first half and coach came in here and challenge some guys and they stepped up," Valentine said.

MSU overcame several problems that have plagued them this season — foul trouble, neutralizing size, injuries, and maintaining late leads. As a result, Izzo was proud after the win.

"When we lost Dawson early, it made things difficult," Izzo said. "We had so many guys that stepped up, whether it's guys like Costello or Colby, my Wyoming flash. He did so many things. Alvin (Ellis) gave us some things, Tum gave us some things. But Trice and Valentine needed to really raise their game up a level and both of them did."

Share and discuss “Tom Izzo calls win over Purdue a "character-building game" ” on social media.