Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Alvin Ellis earning minutes after tough start to season

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo converses with sophomore guard Alvin Ellis III, 3, senior forward Branden Dawson, 22, and senior guard Travis Trice during the game against Maryland on Dec. 30, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 68-66 in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo converses with sophomore guard Alvin Ellis III, 3, senior forward Branden Dawson, 22, and senior guard Travis Trice during the game against Maryland on Dec. 30, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans were defeated by the Terrapins, 68-66 in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

It's been a difficult season for sophomore guard Alvin Ellis II. After being set back by a sprained ankle in mid-November, he's struggled to find his place in the rotation. But the wing has begun to show signs of turning it around.

Head coach Tom Izzo called Ellis the MVP of last Tuesday's practice, and rewarded Ellis with significant playing time against Illinois Saturday. With freshman Javon Bess missing the game with an ankle injury, Ellis entered the game less than two minutes into the first half when junior guard Bryn Forbes picked up an early foul. Ellis went on to play 18 minutes, the most he's played in 2015.

"I didn't know I was going to play that much," Ellis said. "But I knew I was going to go out there and I just tried to do my job and hope to stay in."

Last Thursday, Izzo said every player is affected differently by injury. For Ellis, who wasn't consistent in practice during his freshman year, missing a month so early into his sophomore campaign was detrimental for his development.

"Alvin, I said it at the beginning of the year, I've said it to his face — he did not put in the time that you needed to put in last year," Izzo said. "And then, when he started to this year, then he gets the bad injury and he misses five, six, seven weeks at the beginning of the year for a guy who's not there yet."

Ellis has had a few solid weeks of practice, with his performance last Tuesday being the one that has Izzo trusting the sophomore guard more. Confidence works both ways, Izzo said on Thursday. Saturday's game was certainly encouraging, as Ellis knocked down a corner 3-pointer and gave solid effort on the defensive end.

MSU could use an additional shooter to help its stagnant offense, and there's a window for Ellis to become that guy.

"As I told him, confidence works both ways," Izzo said. "You have to give it. A player always wants a coach to have confidence in him. But there's nothing more a coach wants but to have confidence in the player."

Ellis hopes Saturday's game is the start of something bigger for his role on the team.

"I'm hoping so," Ellis said. "I've been doing a good job in practice these past few weeks and we're going to see where this leads to."

Share and discuss “Alvin Ellis earning minutes after tough start to season” on social media.