Men's basketball team comes out to support the premiere of Keenan Wetzel's short film: "The Cager."

<p>MSU basketball senior guard Keenan Wetzel discusses a scene with the crew Sept. 19, 2014, while filming the movie "The Cager" at Potter Park Zoo in Lansing. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

MSU basketball senior guard Keenan Wetzel discusses a scene with the crew Sept. 19, 2014, while filming the movie "The Cager" at Potter Park Zoo in Lansing. Erin Hampton/The State News

It had been a long time coming for senior walk-on guard Keenan Wetzel. 

Surrounded by family, friends, teammates and coaches, Wetzel finally premiered his short film "The Cager" Monday evening at NCG Cinemas in Lansing. The movie, which filmed for four days in Lansing and Detroit and took a year to make, is a labor of love for Wetzel, a media and information major. 

"It's been a journey for sure," Wetzel said. 

Starring former MSU basketball player and SAG certified actor Delvon Roe, "The Cager" is about a former college basketball star named Wesley Ray who has to reassess his dreams after an injury forces him to give up the game. 

In a State News story published last summer, Wetzel said he always dreamed of doing a short film about not only basketball, but life's transitions. 

“It’s always an interesting perspective when you look at (the question) ‘what do you do when you’ve done the same thing for the past 19 or 20 straight years, and it’s taken from you?’ Wetzel said last June. "That was my inspiration.”

"The Cager," which cost $25,000 to produce, was funded by a Kickstarter campaign and donations. Wetzel produced the film with the help of Lansing-based company Eightfold Marketing & Creative, LLC. 

"We had amazing support, specifically from the Lansing area," Wetzel said. "Eightfold Marketing Creative in Lansing was amazing, and then so many donors and wonderful Spartan people in the Lansing area. Just incredible."

The theme of the film is one head coach Tom Izzo said he can personally relate to, citing his experiences growing up with childhood friend and former NFL coach Steve Mariucci.

"I remember me and Mariucci graduated from college and said 'What the hell are we going to do?' Izzo said. "I'm still saying that once in a while. I think for the most part, that's exactly it. You've got your dreams, you've got your goals, you've gotta find if they're realistic, and yet you have to shoot for the moon. There's a lot of times I almost gave up on mine, didn't and turned out OK. So I hope (Wetzel) goes through the same thing."

Delvon Roe, who missed the premiere of "The Cager," revealed in a tweet he did so because he potentially landed a lead role in a Spike Lee film. 

Senior forward Branden Dawson said that though Roe may not fit the typical mold of an actor, he is happy to see the former Spartan pursue his dream.

"Delvon, at the end of his career he started getting into (acting) too," Dawson said. "I think the guy is 6-foot-8, solid, big dude. You wouldn't expect him to take this seriously. He's doing a great job and we have to congratulate him."

Senior guard Travis Trice said Wetzel's ability to find time to direct the film, along with his basketball and class responsibilities, speaks to his talent.

"It's hard enough for us just to go to class and play basketball, but then you add in making a movie and doing all the things he does, I just think it speaks to how talented he is," Trice said.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball team comes out to support the premiere of Keenan Wetzel's short film: "The Cager."” on social media.