ASMSU budgets $13,500 for mental health week

Last year at MSU, students and on-campus organizations participated in the first annual Mental Health Awareness Week, meant to spread awareness about mental health issues in America and on college campuses.

Last night, ASMSU finance committee passed a bill to allocate $13,500 to finance the second annual Mental Health Awareness Week at MSU beginning March 30.

This years Mental Health Awareness Week will be themed “Release the Stigma” which symbolizes the need to treat mental health objectively and to rid campus of the stigma that mental health issues may cause.

Budgeted items include 1000 stress balls, 2000 t-shirts, 4000 ribbons, and other promotional items such as flyers and posters to spread awareness about mental health issues on campus according to a tentative budget.

“Mental health is a huge issue in America, and especially on college campuses where students face terrible stress and sometimes feel as though they have no where to go—this is a chance to actually make a difference in East Lansing and at MSU for students,” Vice President for Special Projects Ryan Smith said.

Members from ASMSU have been working with university organizations, student organizations, and the city of East Lansing in recent weeks to successfully plan for Mental Health Awareness Week and to organize events, which will be offered to students with no cost.

Possible events include massive group workout sessions, yoga sessions and meditation sessions, as well as free planetarium shows and free access to recreation centers during the week.

Smith is working with campus organizations such as The Council of Graduate Students, Jewish Student Union, MSU Residence Halls Association, University Activities Board, MSU recreational sports centers, Olin Health Center, The MSU Counseling Center, Impact Radio and The National PanHellenic Conference in order to organize events and promotions.

ASMSU has also been working directly with the city of East Lansing to make this years Mental Health Awareness Week bigger and more influential for everyone in the East Lansing area.

“The city—council members, the police department, and other officials have completely opened their arms to making this Mental Health Awareness Week better than last year—they understand this is a big issue for us,” ASMSU community liaison Bryn Williams said.

Williams is currently working with city council members to write a resolution that would make Mental Health Awareness Week an officially recognized week by the city for this year and coming years.

Williams is also working with city officials to try and implement murals around East Lansing, which would promote mental health awareness week and issues surrounding mental health through paintings.

The $13,500 that was allocated by ASMSU’s finance committee to fund this years Mental Health Awareness Week still needs to be approved by ASMSU’s general assembly next week in order to be cemented as the official amount and also depends on how much money is received from other organizations through contributions.

Share and discuss “ASMSU budgets $13,500 for mental health week” on social media.