For some international students, prevalence of alcohol at MSU requires adjustment

For domestic students, it’s a rule they’re accustomed to either accepting or illegally circumventing. 

But for international students who come from countries where consuming alcohol is either legal at an earlier age or outright outlawed, weekend life at MSU is an adjustment and, at times, a frustration.

Dressing up and hitting the club for drinks and dancing at 18 years old is something most Americans haven’t experienced since the mid-80s, when the drinking age was raised from 18 to 21.

But the excitement of a night out with friends is something supply chain management and economics junior Nikita Bhosale experienced during high school in Singapore, where the drinking age is 18.

“Dressing up, the mood, the aura — it’s more exciting (than house parties), it’s like you’re doing something,” Bhosale said.

Now, as a student at MSU, it’s an excitement she’s missing out on. Instead of joining friends for a night of dancing, loud music and dressing up, she stays in or attends house parties.

“I want to be in that place, instead of staying home or whatever,” Bhosale said. “A lot of people here do like staying in though. There are always people who are partying in too.”

For some international students, it’s not the higher drinking age that’s a change, but the allowance and prevalence of alcohol. 

Electrical engineering freshman Ibrahim Sairafi hails from Saudi Arabia, where alcohol is banned for religious reasons. And though he still abstains from alcohol while in the U.S., Sairafi said he doesn’t feel left out, often going to parties with friends to meet new people.

Sairafi said he respects those who choose to drink, and often enjoys talking with those who are tipsy, as they are usually friendly, he said. But having talked with friends who drink and hearing stories of the night before tinged with regret, he said he still maintains it is better to abstain.

“Sometimes when you drink you do crazy stuff, and you regret it in the morning,” Sairafi said. “Some of my friends, they can’t control themselves (when they drink). I understand, but I think it’s a good thing to not drink.”

For some international students, being underage once again only means the absence of alcohol while participating in the same enjoyed activities.

In South Korea, accounting freshman Min Gyu Kim and his friends would spend their weekend afternoons shopping, watching movies and grabbing a bite before celebrating with drinks and going to a karaoke bar.

Now, in the U.S., Kim still frequents karaoke bars with friends, but the lack of alcohol isn’t reason for frustration, he said.

“I don’t really feel that much of a difference, because we do the same things, but it’s just without alcohol, that’s all,” Kim said.

Share and discuss “For some international students, prevalence of alcohol at MSU requires adjustment” on social media.