MSU volunteers give back to Detroit families

Despite the unexpected rain, 47 MSU volunteers traveled from East Lansing to Detroit for one purpose –– to give back to families.

F.A.M.I.L.Y., or Forget About Me, I Love You , and On the Rise took part in Holiday Hope Detroit, which electrical engineering senior and president of F.A.M.I.L.Y. Keyon Clinton said was the perfect opportunity for the members of each organization to give back to the less fortunate for the holidays.

“When you think about family ... family is there to support you,” Clinton said. “Family is there to care for you, to check on you and to make sure you do everything in (their) power to make sure that you reach your goals and aspirations in life.”

Before the families arrived, a ceremony was held to introduce and thank all organizations and groups that came to participate. MSU alumnus and retired basketball star Earvin “Magic” Johnson was in attendance, and said that it’s important to give back to the community because it’s rewarding in so many ways.

“We know we’re going to be good for the holidays, but some of these families won’t,” Johnson said. “Just taking pictures with all these kids and seeing their faces light up and having them say ‘thank you,’ that was it for me.”

F.A.M.I.L.Y and On the Rise members serviced over 10,000 people. Turkeys, food, water, Avon products, coats and vouchers were distributed to those who arrived. Vouchers and food were pre-selected through the Magic Johnson Foundation.

Clinton says coordinating the organization has taken away a large chunk of his energy and time, but in a positive way.

“It helped me figure out some of the things that I could cut back on to actually exert my energy into establishing this foundation, since I do graduate in May,” Clinton said. “I’ve been able to balance it very well.”

Clinton said that he couldn’t have done as much without the support of his executive board, and he is very thankful of them.

“Honestly, they have been my backbone in making sure everything is going good in terms of delegating and helping coordinate these events that we’re doing frequently as well,” Clinton said. “I do want it to be known that my e-board has been a great help from day one until now.”

Advertising senior Taryn Bigelow , secretary and public relations chair of F.A.M.I.L.Y., said that becoming a part of the foundation has made her appreciate doing community service in ways she didn’t expect it to.

“Before I joined F.A.M.I.L.Y. I just thought it was going to be something like a burden,” Bigelow said. “Now, F.A.M.I.L.Y. has truly made me realize that you are blessed to be a blessing. If I have the means, whether it’s time or money or donations, it’s my job to provide that for somebody who doesn’t have it.”

Share and discuss “MSU volunteers give back to Detroit families” on social media.