Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Late goal seals upset win for Oakland over men's soccer, 2-0

The men's soccer team (9-3-2 overall, 3-1-1 Big Ten), was shocked by the Oakland Grizzlies (7-5-1 overall, 5-0-1 Horizon), 2-0, on Wednesday night in front of 1902 fans at Oakland.

The first half saw each team generate a few good opportunities, but neither team had great shots on goal in the first 45. MSU was out-shot by Oakland seven to four, but neither team could put one through the back of the net.

The second half was shaping up to be much of the same with neither team generating a goal, and the game appeared as if it would be headed to extra time.

That was until junior midfielder and forward Matt Rickard scored at the 83:39 from about eight yards out, off an assist junior midfielder and forward Shawn Claud Lawson, to put the Grizzlies up 1-0.

A few minutes later, the Grizzlies ended all Spartan hopes of a quick equalizer at the 88:07 mark when senior midfielder Gavin Hoy scored his second goal of the season off of an assist by junior midfielder and forward Matt Dudley. Dudley, the Grizzlies leading scorer this season with nine total points, earned his third assist of the season.

With the win over MSU, the Grizzlies are 2-1-0 against the Big Ten this season. On Aug. 29, Oakland lost 1-0 to the Penn State Nittany Lions, and on Oct. 8, the Grizzlies defeated  Ohio State 1-0. 

With the 2-0 win over the Spartans on Wednesday night, Oakland will at least least split with the Big Ten this season, with one more game against a Big Ten opponent this season against Michigan (4-6-3 overall, 2-1-2 Big Ten) on Oct. 29.

The Spartans have a key Big Ten matchup with Northwestern  (7-2-4 overall, 2-1-2 Big Ten) on Sunday. MSU is currently in second place in the Big Ten standings and if the team hopes to win the conference this year, a loss against the Wildcats could be detrimental.

Share and discuss “Late goal seals upset win for Oakland over men's soccer, 2-0” on social media.