Professor Karl Gude's YouTube video urges professors to keep students engaged, receives more than 1,000 views

Journalism professor Karl Gude uploaded a “rant” to YouTube on Aug. 26 in which he lamented teachers who complain that they had to “spoon feed some so-called adults” class material, or treated their students like they are babysitting them.

Gude, who was the director of information graphics for Newsweek for 10 years before coming to MSU eight years ago, called for teachers to stay relevant to their students, urging them to live up to their students’ expectations and constantly search for new ways to teach.

The video, titled “Professor rants against professors who hate their students,” had received around 1,032 views as of Tuesday afternoon and was inspired by a cousin who expressed dismay over jaded and worn out teachers at a university in California.

Another idea that Gude expressed in the video was that students need to be kept engaged in order to not lose interest in course material.

“Students are clinging to teachers like a life raft, hoping for them to pass along to (students) relevant knowledge so that they can survive in this crazy world,” Gude said in an interview.

Share and discuss “Professor Karl Gude's YouTube video urges professors to keep students engaged, receives more than 1,000 views” on social media.