Tuesday, May 14, 2024

COLUMN — Bye week did more harm than good for MSU football last weekend

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio yells at his team during a timeout during the game against Oregon on Sept. 6, 2014, at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. The Spartans lost to the Ducks, 46-27. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio yells at his team during a timeout during the game against Oregon on Sept. 6, 2014, at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore. The Spartans lost to the Ducks, 46-27. Julia Nagy/The State News

Despite having the weekend off, No. 11 MSU (1-1 overall) took a step back, or at least its playoff chances did.

For a second straight week, the Big Ten conference as a whole struggled in marquee non-conference games, most importantly against the Big 12. The conference was a combined 3-6 this week against non-conference foes, including a winless 0-3 record against the Big 12.

Iowa blew a 14-3 halftime lead to fall, 20-17, against in-state rival Iowa State, West Virginia knocked off Maryland on a last second field goal to beat the Terrapins, 40-37, and Minnesota was embarrassed by TCU by a score of 30-7.

There were other disappointing appearances by the conference this past weekend — such as Indiana’s 45-42 loss against MAC opponent Bowling Green — but none were more important than those against the Big 12.

When looking at the College Football Playoff there appears to be three spots all but guaranteed. The SEC champion will get one of the four spots, and the same can be said for whoever comes out of the Pac-12. Those are simply are set in stone unless somehow the two champions come out with two or three losses. So for sake of argument, let’s say No. 2 Oregon and No. 3 Alabama win their respective conferences and lock up two of the four spots.

Next you have No. 1 Florida State. The ACC is arguably just as bad as the Big Ten after Virginia Tech and Clemson experienced early season losses, but with the name and pedigree Florida State holds, even if they stumble once, they’ll be in. So that means Seminoles are going to need two losses to miss out on the inaugural playoff — that won’t happen, so pencil them into your brackets at home as well.

This means there is one spot left in this year’s playoff with the Big 12, Big Ten and No. 9 Notre Dame all fighting for it. The Fighting Irish have four games against current Top 25 opponents left on its schedule, including a trip to Florida State, so while Notre Dame isn’t out of the race, it’ll certainly have a tough road to get there. I don’t think they can survive that murderous slate.

So the argument becomes who’s in and who’s out when talking about the Big Ten and Big 12 champions. And after last weekend, where three projected bottom feeders in the Big 12 beat three Big Ten middle of the road or even contenders, it appears the sun is already setting on MSU and the league’s national championship dreams.

Last Thursday before practice, head coach Mark Dantonio said all of the team’s goals still lie in front of them, and something can be said for that. MSU still is the front-runner to win the Big Ten and earn a bid in one of the premiere bowl games — Cotton, Peach, Fiesta or Orange Bowl. But that might be as far as this team can go this season. MSU fans will need the Big 12 to beat up on each other and see No. 4 Oklahoma or No. 7 Baylor stumble multiple times along the way. Otherwise, Sparty is toast.

Share and discuss “COLUMN — Bye week did more harm than good for MSU football last weekend” on social media.