Allyson Krause scores game-winner for women's soccer in victory over Western Michigan, 3-2

After just over 100 minutes of a back-and-forth physical battle, junior forward Allyson Krause scored the game-winning goal in double overtime to beat Western Michigan, 3-2.

Krause used her speed to get behind the Bronco defense and received a slip pass from senior forward Paige Wester, before beating the Western keeper for the game-winner. MSU (6-0 overall) had been talking about executing plays like this at practice all week long, and head coach Tom Saxton was pleased to see the work pay off.

“That’s exactly the kind of runs and decisions we’ve been talking about in practice, time after time,” Saxton said. “That little slip pass was brilliant, and Ally is a great finisher and put it away.”

Krause was exhausted after the first overtime, and the physicality of the game clearly took a toll on everyone. This was also MSU’s third game of the week, which also drained the squad.

“I was cramping up and I just said ‘I want to get this game over with’. I wanted to make that slashing run and Paige played an excellent ball, and we were able to finish it off,” Krause said of her overtime winner.

Unlike Friday’s contest against IPFW, the Spartans did not get off to a quick start. After two missed MSU scoring chances, WMU bounced right back, as freshman midfielder Maria Jaramillo put one past redshirt senior Courtney Clem in the 32nd minute.

MSU answered about ten minutes later, when redshirt junior defender Mary Kathryn Fiebernitz scored on a penalty kick. She beat a diving WMU keeper with a shot slightly to the goalie’s left side.

“Our front-runners, they created that. Throughout the entire game, they set the tone up top. They created many chances, and our stat line showed that,” Fiebernitz said, giving credit to her teammates for putting her in a place to take the penalty kick.

Fiebernitz has connected on both of her penalty kick opportunities this year. Last season, she scored on her three penalty kick chances.

After coming out of halftime tied up, MSU freshman forward Jamie Cheslik put the Spartans on top, with a sliding goal into the bottom right-hand corner of the net. Cheslik’s team-leading fourth goal of the season came in the game’s 51st minute.

Western countered again with a goal in the 84th minute. Bronco fans in attendance were ignited by the late score, and erupted in the stands. Spartan fans countered with their own ‘Go Green Go White’ chant, and the game’s intensity was on full display.

At the end of regulation, both teams were tied at two. After the first ten-minute overtime period, the score remained tied. Krause changed this less than two minutes into the second overtime period with her game-deciding goal.

MSU handed WMU its first loss of the season, while the Spartans remained undefeated and finished non-conference play with six wins. MSU will kick off Big Ten season against Wisconsin at 3:30 p.m. on Friday at DeMartin Stadium. 

Share and discuss “Allyson Krause scores game-winner for women's soccer in victory over Western Michigan, 3-2” on social media.