Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Intramural and club sports available to new, returning Spartans

Whether a student is a freshman looking to meet new friends or an upper classman trying to stay active, numerous intermural and club sports are offered with quick approaching deadlines.

For the fall 2014 semester, Sand Volleyball, Flag Football, Outdoor Soccer, Two Person Best Ball Tournament, Ultimate Frisbee, Tennis Singles and Mixed Doubles, Dodgeball, Two Person Scramble Gold Tournament, Indoor Volleyball and 3 on 3 Basketball will be offered.

Teams are “typically formed among friends, dorm neighbors, fraternity brothers and sorority sisters,” Assistant Director of Intermural Sports Ross Winter said.

Even with a busy class schedule and a part-time job, participating students only dedicate a few hours for a game once a week for about four weeks, where the season follows single eliminated playoff bracket. Practices during the season are not required, but some teams choose to on their own time.

“[Intermural sports] give students a physical activity outlet that lets them connect with other students on campus,” Winter said. “They relieve stress and maintain active lifestyle, which helps them be more successful in the classroom.”

For students with more time on their hands that are looking to join a competitive activity, club sports are for you. There are over twenty-five club teams being offered this semester, including everything from Baseball to Kendo.

Club sports are registered student organizations, where captains take on leadership roles with tasks including setting up games, selecting team members and booking hotels and buses for away games.

“Its’ like running a small business,” Assistant Director of Recreational Sports Angela Michael said. “They don’t have to be quite as organized, but you have to be organized enough [for the sports] to continue. There are so many opportunities to learn and grow.”

Michael said the student who hold these leadership roles manage budgets, schedule competitions, and have to manage their time wisely, which makes great resume builders.

Practices for club sports range from two to four times a week, in addition to games. Underwater Hockey teams travel to Canada, while Dodgeball stays within Michigan — it just depends on the sports and how they games are scheduled.

Different from IM sports, some club sports host tryouts because there is a higher demand for certain teams, including soccer and men’s lacrosse.

Students can sign up at recsports.msu.edu. The entry fee ranges from $3 to $85. Deadlines for all IM sports are between mid-September and early October.

“It’s a great way to learn new skills, meet people and make plans,” Michael said. “With a campus this size, you need to connect with others. Whether it’s club sport or student organization or a job, it’s how you can shrink [MSU] and feel where you belong.”

Share and discuss “Intramural and club sports available to new, returning Spartans” on social media.