Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Deceased student had yet to take classes at MSU

On Jiayi Dai’s last post on Instagram, there are comments wishing for her to rest in peace — some in English and some in Mandarin.

The 19-year-old MSU student from Beijing, China was found dead in the 300 block of Pin Oak Lane in East Lansing Saturday morning.

According to her Facebook page, it wasn’t Dai’s first time in the United States, but it was her first time in East Lansing. Dai’s Facebook profile said she attended Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington, Virginia.

Dai’s body was found Saturday morning, before Fall Welcome festivities were in full swing. Police said excessive alcohol consumption may have been a contributing factor in Dai's death.

Peter Briggs, director of the Office for International Students and Scholars, said he’s noticed there is less binge drinking in the international student community.

“I think this was way out of the norm and it hasn’t happened a lot,” Briggs said.

Briggs contacted the family of the deceased girl from Beijing, China. He said the family is very sad and wants privacy during this time.

Photos of Dai posing with her family with the caption “I miss all you,” is the last post on her Instagram account.

Briggs said Dai’s family is currently working on obtaining visas so they can come to the U.S. Authorities are waiting on results from a toxicology report, which will take six to eight weeks. The report may determine whether or not alcohol was a factor in Dai’s death.

Although authorities are not sure if alcohol was the cause of death, ELPD Capt. Jeff Murphy said they are trying to find out where the 19-year-old may have gotten alcohol from.

Ingham County Health Department said the autopsy is pending, meaning it is unclear whether an autopsy has or will be performed.

Share and discuss “Deceased student had yet to take classes at MSU” on social media.