Monday, May 13, 2024

Key football players to watch during 2014 season

<p>Junior running back Jeremy Langford celebrates with teammates after the game against Indiana, Oct. 12, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated The Hoosiers, 42-28. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior running back Jeremy Langford celebrates with teammates after the game against Indiana, Oct. 12, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated The Hoosiers, 42-28. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

The last image many students and fans have of the MSU football program was Kyler Elsworth making that diving stop to capture the Spartan’s first Rose Bowl victory since 1988.

However, Elsworth is no longer a member of the Spartans, and it’s finally a brand new year for No. 8 MSU. And with the season starting today, it’s time to put Rose Bowl talk on the back burner and take a look ahead at this year’s bunch.

Here are four guys from each side of the ball who are expected to be standouts this year for the Spartans.

Connor Cook

Junior quarterback

2013 Stats: 2,755 passing yards, 22 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and .587 completion percentage

Overview: Cook emerged as the starting quarterback early last season and improved from week-to-week en route to a career-high 332 passing yard 2014 Rose Bowl performance. This year, Cook will look to expand his game after his first full spring and fall preseason camp as the guaranteed starter under center. With an even better receiving corp this year, expect Cook to top last year’s numbers and elevate himself to a level of one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten.

Jeremy Langford

Senior running back

2013 Stats: 292 carries for 1,422 yards and 18 touchdowns, and 28 receptions for 157 yards and one touchdown

Overview: Langford had a true breakout season a year ago and will look to top those numbers. Langford was known for breaking off long runs to finish off opponents last season with clinching touchdowns against Michigan, Northwestern and Ohio State. Langford is projected by some to be a dark-horse Heisman candidate, but will have to overcome losing three of his best blockers from a year ago.

Tony Lippett

Senior wide receiver

2013 Stats: 44 receptions for 613 yards and two touchdowns

Overview: Lippett has emerged as the new face of the receiving corps for 2014 as the top returning wide receiver. Last season Lippett led the team in receptions and was second in yards. His two touchdowns both came on the big stage with a 33-yard touchdown grab against Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game and the go-ahead 25-yard touchdown catch against Stanford in the Rose Bowl. In a loaded wide receiver group, Lippett’s numbers could stagnate in 2014, but expect him to overall be more of a threat.

Travis Jackson

Senior offensive lineman

2013 Stats: appeared in 13 games including three starts

Overview: Jackson returns after missing some of last season due to a injury, and is the known leader of offensive lineman. Jackson will start at left guard for MSU in 2014, but has seen time at center in the past. Jackson is the offensive team captain and expected to play a heavy role in the team’s rushing efforts this fall.

Shilique Calhoun

Junior defensive end

2013 Stats: 37 tackles including 14 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, one interception, four fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and three defensive touchdowns

Overview: Calhoun made a name for himself last season after scoring three touchdowns in the first two games. However, his game is much more than simply scoring touchdowns as he is potentially the best defensive presence in the Big Ten. Head Coach Mark Dantonio said during MSU media day that he expects Calhoun, who is one of three team captains, to take another step forward in only his second season as a starter and if he does he truly will be a handful for opponents to contain.

Taiwan Jones

Senior linebacker

2013 Stats: 67 tackles including seven for a loss

Overview: Jones has started 17 games during the last two seasons and is considered one of the veterans on this defense full of fresh faces. However, he is making the transition to middle linebacker and taking on the tall task of replacing former Spartan legend Max Bullough. Defensive Coordinator Pat Narduzzi has said Jones’ size and speed can make him even more of a threat then Bullough ever was, but being able to learn the new position is the one question mark Jones still has to answer.

Trae Waynes

Junior cornerback

2013 Stats: 50 tackles including 1.5 for a loss, three interceptions, five pass breakups and one fumble recovery

Overview: Some might not be aware of Waynes because he played opposite of Jim Thorpe Award winner Darqueze Dennard last season, but Waynes surely is the real deal. Waynes is entering only his second season as a starter and is already being projected by some to be an NFL first round pick next year if he were to leave early. Waynes is moving from the field to the boundary cornerback, a change that will cause him to have to be more aggressive on the run. Waynes should continue the trend of lockdown cornerbacks for MSU in 2014.

Kurtis Drummond

Senior free safety

2013 Stats: 91 tackles, four interceptions, six pass breaks, one forced fumble and one defensive touchdown

Overview: Drummond is the heart, soul and brain of this Spartan defense. Drummond is one of the three team captains for this season and has started a team-high 21 consecutive games at free safety. Like Waynes, Drummond is considered to be one of the highest-drafted defensive backs in the 2015 NFL Draft if he continues to put up big numbers in 2014. In a defense that has six brand-new starters, it’s a good thing for MSU that Drummond will be lining up in the secondary this fall.

Share and discuss “Key football players to watch during 2014 season” on social media.