Eli Broad Business College will instate new acting dean

Sanjay Gupta will soon take over as acting dean of the Eli Broad Business College, per approval from the MSU Board of Trustees. The position of acting dean designate will become official on July 1 and he will later become the acting dean on Aug. 1. 

Gupta will replace Stefanie Lenway,  who recently took the position of dean at the Opus College of Business at the University of St. Thomas in Saint Paul, Missouri. Gupta's current position in the college is as the associate dean of MBA and professional master's programs.

It is expected the search for a permanent dean will take place during the fall and a selection will be made by Spring 2015. 

It is unknown whether Gupta will vie for the permanent position. 

Until then, he has a clear image of three things he'd like the college to build upon — recognition, reputation and rankings. 

"I want to build on the recognition of our brand, strengthen the college's reputation and increase the rankings of all our programs," he said. "And all points are for everyone to help with through engagement, execution and excellence." 

He added the main premise of his plan is to engage the college's key stakeholders, such as students, faculty, alumni and community partners. It's their engagement and action that will execute any future plans for the college, and he said he plans to keep their programs at their high levels of excellence and recognition. 

Most recently, graduates with MBAs from the Eli Broad Business College were named the fourth most satisfied with their degrees in the nation, according to Forbes magazine

Gupta first joined the university as the chair of the accounting and information systems department in July 2007. Kathy Petroni, the Deloitte/Michael Licata Professor of Accounting, worked with him in the department for about five years. She said she's witnessed how much he cares about the university and hopes to see him as a candidate for the permanent dean when the time comes.

"His number one characteristic is that he's a man with such a high level of integrity," she said. "It's something you see just working with him from day to day." 

Roger Calantone, the director of the institute for entrepreneurship and innovation in the college, worked closely with Gupta for about five years. He said Gupta's work at Arizona State University, a university even larger than MSU, makes him a strong choice for the position. 

Prior to coming to MSU, Gupta held various positions at Arizona State University, such as first Henry and Horne Professorship in Accountancy and the Faculty Director of the Master of Accountancy and Information Systems and the Masters of Taxation programs.

"He's very clear in what he wants to accomplish and has high ambition on behalf of the college," Calantone said. "He's willing to sacrifice his time and energy and has the confidence to get there." 

Share and discuss “Eli Broad Business College will instate new acting dean” on social media.