Women's tennis chasing record

Team looks to break school wins record as season draws to a close

<p>Senior Marina Bohrer serves the ball during practice April 16, 2014, at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. Bohrer was named Big Ten Women's Tennis Athlete Of The Week last week. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior Marina Bohrer serves the ball during practice April 16, 2014, at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. Bohrer was named Big Ten Women's Tennis Athlete Of The Week last week. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

If they win both, they get their names in the MSU record book.

The MSU women’s tennis team, ranked No. 67 in the nation, is approaching its final two regular season matches with an overall record of 17-6 — one win away from tying the 1990-91 school record of 18 wins.

Facing Purdue at noon on Saturday and Indiana at 11 a.m. on Sunday as part of a conference road trip, the team hopes to head to the Big Ten Championship on April 24-27 with two more victories.

“The hard work has been there through the years,” head coach Simone Jardim said. “I think the difference is that the group has improved, and we’ve been pretty lucky as far as stayi ng healthy. I think we are strong one through six, and I think we give ourselves an opportunity to win.”

An outstanding senior

Senior Marina Bohrer, who has an overall record of 18-7 this season (4-3 in Big Ten competition) was awarded Big Ten Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week last week — the second Spartan to get the award during the six years under Jardim’s coaching.

“I was expecting that,” Bohrer said. “I’ve just been trying to do good and to help the team. I’m pretty honored. I’ve never been ranked and I’ve never gotten Big Ten Player of the Week. I feel like this year’s been such a great year for us, and that’s the best way to end my career at MSU.”

Since her freshman year at MSU, Bohrer has shown strong play and smart decision-making on the court, and Jardim said that Bohrer’s recognition has been a long time coming.

“From the moment she got here, she’s been really successful and she’s always played high in the lineup,” Jardim said. “I think even in the past, when she didn’t get recognition like this, I think she’s always done outstanding, and now in her senior year, it’s about time.”

Strength in numbers

Coming from a 6-1 win against Wisconsin last Saturday, and an upset 4-3 loss against No. 61 Minnesota on Sunday, one of the Spartans’ strong areas is doubles matches, where they have won the doubles points 17 times in the last 23 outings.

“We’ve won a lot of doubles points, and it’s been helpful because that’s one point out of the way,” Jardim said. “Also, when you start winning a lot of matches like we have, you gain more confidence.”

Jardim said the consistency in winning the doubles point was a game-changer for them, especially after the uncertainty of when someone played tiebreakers and gave the match away in the beginning of the season.

Although the Spartans are closing in on MSU records, they have areas that they need to focus on, such as being tough in long points and improving everyone’s fitness, junior Catherine Parenteau said.

“We need to improve on a little bit of footwork to make us ready, because we play on Saturday and Sunday, and it’s always very hard to manage to be healthy for the weekend and compete very hard for two days in a row,” Parenteau said.

Because she made it to the NCAA Championships in her first year playing at Arkansas — before transferring to MSU — Parenteau said she wants her teammates to have that desire to make it that far.

“I know the feeling of just being very close to accomplish something.... I just feel like I have to put my experience from the past (into play),” she said.

Incoming talent

One of the main sources of help the team got this year was from freshmen, such as Erin Faulkner, who said she wanted to be part of a team where she could make a difference.

“I know we’ve kind of been the underdog for the past few years, but going in, I’ve always believed and I’ve always had high expectations,” Faulkner said. “So I’m not really shocked by the results, because I think we’re good.”

The last time the women’s tennis team was ranked was in the 2011 season — when Bohrer was a freshman. They were ranked No. 50.

Climbing up the rankings since the beginning of the season might be just a number, but it also is a boost in confidence to keep the team’s energy up.

“Numbers are numbers, and going into this weekend, we just have to keep doing what we’re doing and stay strong mentally.” Jardim said.

Besides the rough start to the season, and being uncertain about individual matches and the season’s outcome, the team will keep working to progress and not get caught up in national rankings.

“Of course that number will help us progress into the future, and it’s recognition, and they deserve it, but we have to stay in the moment and focus on what’s ahead,” Jardim said.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis chasing record ” on social media.