Sunday, April 28, 2024

Same-sex marriage supporters ask Attorney General to rescind stay of DeBoer v. Snyder decision

<p>Marsha Caspar addresses the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals temporary stay on gay marriages in Michigan as her wife Glenna DeJong, left, holds the shirt Caspar was wearing at their wedding March 25, 2014, at the Capital Building. The couple, who were the first gay couple in Michigan to wed, were joined by other Michigan government officials at the press conference to fight for marriage equality. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Marsha Caspar addresses the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals temporary stay on gay marriages in Michigan as her wife Glenna DeJong, left, holds the shirt Caspar was wearing at their wedding March 25, 2014, at the Capital Building. The couple, who were the first gay couple in Michigan to wed, were joined by other Michigan government officials at the press conference to fight for marriage equality. Julia Nagy/The State News

Members from Michigan's legislature and same-sex marriage supporters gathered in the Capitol Tuesday afternoon to ask Attorney General Bill Schuette and Governor Rick Snyder to rescind their stay of the DeBoer v. Snyder decision reversing the state's ban on gay marriage.

Members of ACLU, Equality Michigan and the state House of Representatives and Senate spoke for 45 minutes about the merits of the DeBoer v. Snyder case and why Snyder and Schuette should respect Judge Friedman's decision.

"Governor Snyder and Attorney General Schuette have made the wrong decision for these couples and for the state of Michigan, but I am confident that the federal government will make the right one," East Lansing mayor Nathan Triplett said.

Share and discuss “Same-sex marriage supporters ask Attorney General to rescind stay of DeBoer v. Snyder decision” on social media.