Student takes first place in business competition

<p>Charlotte Master&#8217;s winning business plan — What&#8217;s Mapnin.&#8217; Courtesy of Charlotte Master. </p>

Charlotte Master’s winning business plan — What’s Mapnin.’ Courtesy of Charlotte Master.

An MSU student’s prize-winning map is serving not only as a vibrantly colorful representation of the Lansing area, but as a massive advertisement for businesses that call the area home.

Early last month, political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore Charlotte Master took home the $10,000 grand prize in the final part of the Hatching competition, where her business, What’s Mapnin’, was pit against five other businesses run by young entrepreneurs.

The main purpose of the What’s Mapnin’ caricature map, designed by Lansing artist Dennis Preston, is to show off East Lansing and Lansing and advertise both areas’ businesses.

Master’s map presents a visual representation of each business in the East Lansing and Lansing area. Every business pays to be a part of one advertisement that encompasses all of them. The different rates make it possible for a variety of businesses, large or small, to participate.

“I wanted to show people what was going on in the city,” Master said. “I think people really like what’s in their college town, and this gives businesses a chance to advertise.”

The Hatching is an idea-pitch competition with a goal of getting new ideas into the market. People can submit ideas on the official Hatching website. At the end of each month, the top five present their ideas at Beggar’s Banquet in East Lansing.

“The main goal of the Hatching is to turn a new idea into a new company,” Hatching co-founder Jeff Smith said.

Master was the winner of the November Hatching competition, which earned her a spot in the Dec. 12 finals.

Finalists of the Hatching competitions held every month were entered into the final Hatching competition. The final competition took place during the annual LAUNCHED Lansing event, which is held to acknowledge and celebrate Lansing entrepreneurs.

Each young entrepreneur went on stage with three minutes to pitch their business to the audience.

“We had no idea who the judges were,” Master said.

Master said it turned out to be an open vote among the audience members, who all were attendees of the public LAUNCHED event.

Although this could have been unnerving to some people, Master said she thought this was an exciting twist.

“It’s nice to know that all these people think my business is good,” she said. “It’s nice to have that validation.”

The prize included a membership with the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce.

The $10,000 Master earned in the competition will go toward expanding her business. Students can go to the official What’s Mapnin’ website to access the offers from businesses advertising with What’s Mapnin’.

“What’s Mapnin’ represents the area, shows students and residents what’s going on everywhere, and unites the city in one big project,” Master said.

Share and discuss “Student takes first place in business competition” on social media.