Strong Iowa team presents tough game

<p>Freshman forward Gavin Schilling and sophomore guard Denzel Valentine, 45, fight for the ball with Michigan guard Caris LeVert on Jan. 25, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Wolverines, 80-75. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Freshman forward Gavin Schilling and sophomore guard Denzel Valentine, 45, fight for the ball with Michigan guard Caris LeVert on Jan. 25, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Wolverines, 80-75. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

It doesn’t get any easier from here on out.

Following the No. 7 MSU men’s basketball team 80-75 loss to No. 10 Michigan Saturday night, the Spartans travel to Iowa City, Iowa to take on the No. 15 Hawkeyes at 7 p.m. Tuesday night.

The Hawkeyes (16-4 overall, 5-2 Big Ten) are one of the deepest teams in the nation, as they’ve had the same starting five in every game, while a total of nine players played in each of the 20 games so far.

“It’s a team that I told you guys the first day we met this year, that I thought they would be the most improved team in the league, and they are,” head coach Tom Izzo said. “Fran (McCaffery is) a good coach. They rebound well, they have size, they have some shooters — even though, if there’s a weakness, they haven’t shot the three quite as well.”

On the flip side, the Spartans (18-2, 7-1) have had 10 different lineups in 20 games. Sophomore guard Denzel Valentine, freshman forward Gavin Schilling and “senior guard Keith Appling”: http://statenews.com/article/2014/01/at-press-conference-izzo-praises-applings-effort-in-u-m-loss are the only three players to see the floor in every game for the Spartans.

It hasn’t been a good year for the team that was ranked No. 3 in the land. In the last three weeks, the last three teams sitting at third in the rankings, Ohio State, Wisconsin and MSU, have gone a combined 1-5.

“Iowa is one of the most dangerous teams in the conference,” Appling said. “They’re very experienced — they have a lot of guys that have played with each other for a number of years. They came close to beating us in the Big Ten Tournament last year. We have to focus and stay together and see what happens.”

After his career-high 27 point performance against Michigan, sophomore guard Gary Harris now leads the Big Ten in scoring at 19.9 points per game, and in steals at 3.1 per game, since the start of conference play.

He’ll need to step up if the Spartans want to stay with Iowa, which scores 85.2 points per game and wins by an average of almost 20 points, both the most in the Big Ten

In two games against the Hawkeyes last season, MSU won in close games, 62-59 in the regular season and 59-56 in the Big Ten Tournament.

Harris said this is a huge game for Iowa, one that could take their program to another level.

“We stole one at their place, we were losing the whole game, didn’t take the lead until the last minute or so,” he said. “But it was two close games and with everybody coming back, I know they definitely remember it and they’re gonna be ready to play us here come Tuesday.”

Iowa is led in scoring by Southfield, Mich. native Roy Devyn Marble, who averages just over 16 points a game, while Aaron White puts up 13.7 points each time out.

MSU will be without junior forward Brandon Dawson for the foreseeable future after he broke his hand last week, but senior forward Adreian Payne’s return might be sooner than later, as Izzo said he’s been running more, but still is doubtful to play this week.

Izzo said the quick turnaround between this big game and a disappointing loss to Michigan presents an extra challenge for the Spartans to overcome.

“Do I worry about getting back up so quickly both physically and mentally? Yeah,” Izzo said. “I have to worry about it. Every call I got this morning from out there, this is the biggest game at Iowa in 10 years the way they talked. We’re gonna have to really be mentally into it.”

Share and discuss “Strong Iowa team presents tough game” on social media.