State surplus: invest in higher ed, make college affordable

The state of Michigan reported a possible $1.3 billion surplus in revenue heading into the 2014-15 fiscal year. But the prospect that the extra funds go toward higher education to support students remains unlikely.

This shouldn’t be the case. Gov. Rick Snyder and the Republican majority need to start taking higher-education funding more seriously.

The state has provided less support for higher education in recent years. The most notable cut was a 15 percent decrease in funding in 2011.

Since then, universities have been looking for ways to make up the change. One of the major effects on students has been increased tuition rates.

According to the Project on Student Debt’s most recent report, Michigan’s 2012 graduating class had an average debt of $28,840.

About 62 percent of 2012 graduates were in debt upon graduation. In that respect, 40 other states are doing better than Michigan.

In addition to increasing tuition, MSU’s budget from 2011 showed that 350 employees were laid off over two years, and budget appropriations were $174 million behind the inflation rate since 2000.

Since Snyder took office, he has made it a priority to cut unnecessary spending. The bleeding is over, and Michigan even is seeing a surplus.

In his first campaign commercial of the election season released this past September, Snyder’s campaign team promises that “coming soon” the governor would make college degrees more affordable. The statement is accompanied by an aerial shot of Spartan Stadium.

Now is the time for the governor, who was elected on his background as a savvy investor, to start fulfilling that promise. As someone who came from a humble background and went on to earn two degrees from a public university, he of all people should recognize the value of a college degree.

With the gubernatorial election less than 10 months away, the governor should put his ?money where his mouth is ­— if he expects to win over student voters, that is.

His colleagues in the state legislature should do the same. Unfortunately, ?a spokesman for House speaker Jase Bolger said the leadership is interested in using the surplus to stimulate the economy through tax cuts.

Republicans are not wrong in trying to improve Michigan’s business climate and stimulate the economy.

But many of those jobs couldn’t be landed without the great education we are paying for. And a great education can’t be obtained if the cost becomes astronomical and unmanageable for the average student.

Although Republicans have supported tax cuts in the past, we doubt ?the state of Michigan’s economy will continue to improve if the cost of college becomes so high that most ?students can’t afford to attend, and with those who do enroll graduating with thousands of dollars of debt.

The state should be encouraging ?students to go to college by making it more affordable, not shafting them with a $30,000 tab in loan debt when they graduate.

Share and discuss “State surplus: invest in higher ed, make college affordable” on social media.