Rolling up local sushi restaurants

Sushi, a type of rice and seafood roll that comes in a variety of styles, is becoming a culinary staple in the MSU community. Here are four sushi restaurants in the East Lansing area that students who have a taste for Asian cuisine should check out.

Ai Fusion Sushi & Grill

2827 E. Grand River Ave.

Ai Fusion Sushi & Grill features a mix of different types of cuisine, including Japanese, Korean and American specialties. Company president Song Su Kim said this is to keep up with culinary trends. Kim said that the restaurant is currently also working on perfecting its new salad rolls, such as the Crab Salad Spicy Tuna Roll. The prices for the various dishes, which include more than sushi, range from $2 to $20.

Sushi Ya

529 E. Grand River Ave.

Students looking for a comfortable place to study or catch up with friends typically flock to Sushi Ya to sit down and socialize, manager Leigh Beckmeyer said. Their specialties, in keeping with the spirit of the East Lansing area, include their MSU Roll and Spartan Roll. The sushi options share avocado and cream cheese as two of the main ingredients, but the Spartan Roll’s spicy tuna and shrimp tempura and the crab in the deep-fried tempura MSU Roll. Prices for items on the menu range from $3.95 to $16.95.

SanSu Sushi & Cocktails

4750 S. Hagadorn Rd.

SanSu is a restaurant with a flexible ambience. Rebecca Jeon, its general manager, said the restaurant has an atmosphere that supports any occasion from wedding receptions to a casual gathering with friends and family. The restaurant’s unique sushi has been recognized on more than one occasion and was voted “Best of the Best Sushi” by the Lansing State Journal two years in a row. Jeon said SanSu’s specialty is its fresh fish. Prices range from $5 to $20.

Maru Sushi & Grill

1500 W. Lake Lansing Rd.

Maru Sushi & Grill specializes in balancing the sometimes mysterious Japanese cuisine with simpler sushi items, such as the popular Soy Joy roll, a type of spicy tuna roll. Maru tries to source their organic ingredients as locally as possible, said general manager Peter Hermann. He added that some ingredients are from MSU farms. Menu prices range from $6 to $15.

Share and discuss “Rolling up local sushi restaurants” on social media.