Saturday, May 4, 2024

Nittany Lions beat MSU gymnastics at home

<p>Freshman gymnast Elena Lagoski competes during the floor exercise portion against Penn State on Jan. 25, 2014, at Jenison Field House. Lagoski scored a 9.900 and took first place in the event. <span class="caps">MSU</span> lost the meet 192.750-194.825. Casey Hull/The State News</p>

Freshman gymnast Elena Lagoski competes during the floor exercise portion against Penn State on Jan. 25, 2014, at Jenison Field House. Lagoski scored a 9.900 and took first place in the event. MSU lost the meet 192.750-194.825. Casey Hull/The State News

Although the gymnastics team struggled and lost to Penn State during the Autism Awareness meet on Saturday, junior Alina Cartwright and freshman Elena Lagoski came out victorious for the day.

The Nittany Lions beat the Spartans 194.825-192.750, a difference of 2.075 — a wide gap that is difficult to close in gymnastics.

Cartwright won all-around champion and first place on vault, while Lagoski placed first on floor.

“It was exciting being back. I didn’t have much practice time,” Cartwright said. “You have to trust your preparation and trust your body.”

Cartwright scored a 9.95 on vault — 0.05 from a perfect 10 score — and Lagoski snagged an almost-perfect score of 9.9 on the floor exercise.

Penn State senior Kassidy Stauder took first place on both bars, scoring a 9.825, and beam, with a 9.875.

The Spartans are known to be very strong on floor, Penn State head coach Jeff Thompson said, and he expected this to be a closer meet with closer scores.

“MSU struggled on vault and we had a big lead after the first two events. Their early struggles took pressure off of us,” Thompson said.

MSU head coach Kathie Klages said she started the meet very optimistic, like always, and knows her athletes can do much better than what she saw on Saturday.

“I see them in the gym at practice and I know what they’re capable of, and it’s much better than what they’re showing on the competition floor,” Klages said.

The athletes did not put in the effort they did at practice, Cartwright said, and that it was “heartbreaking” for her to see that.

“Our nerves got to us,” Cartwright said. “We didn’t go as hard as we did at the first meet.”

Even though the Spartans lost, they were still proud to raise awareness for autism and support foundations that need help.

Present at the meet was the Gymnastics Doctor Autism Foundation’s Flip for Autism program, which brought 1996 Olympic gold medalist gymnast Dominique Moceanu, who signed autographs for fans.

Twistars USA Gymnastics Club also were present and performed at the end of the competition.

Being able to support those foundations meant a lot to Lagoski.

“I have a cousin with Down syndrome and he’s one of my little best friends,” Lagoski said. “He does cheer and it warms your heart to see him compete.”

Lagoski said she has fun spending time with her cousin and watching him prepare for his competitions like she prepares for her meets.

The gymnastics team will take this next week to prepare to compete against rival Michigan at 7 p.m. on Friday in Ann Arbor.

Share and discuss “Nittany Lions beat MSU gymnastics at home” on social media.