Turkish Student Association to sponsor Turkish classical music concert tonight

The Turkish Student Association will be celebrating their culture with a concert this evening at 7:30 p.m. in the Kellogg Center Auditorium entitled “Turkish Classical Music Concert: Heritage of Thousand Years.”

Among the performers is the renowned Murat Salim Tokac, who plays the tanbur, a long-necked guitar-like instrument, and ney, which is similar to a flute. Tokac, who is the general director of fine arts at the Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism, is often referred to as one of the best tanbur performers of all time.

In addition to Tokac, performers will also be showcasing other Middle Eastern musical instruments such as the kemençe, an Eastern Mediterranean stringed bowed instrument, and kanun, a Turkish stringed instrument similar to a harp. Vocalists will be performing as well.

The concert is part of a tour of the midwestern U.S. to facilitate cross-cultural communication and awareness. Admission to the event is $10.

The event is sponsored in part by MSU’s Turkish Student Association, which is led by president Eyup Civelek.

“We hope that both American and international students … will get the central aim of the concert, which is introducing Turkish classical music to those who are not really familiar with it,” said Civelek, a graduate student. “We hope they will become interested in other sides of Turkish culture and will educate their friends, cohorts and families in accordance with what they get from the concert. We want to provide opportunities for people to know about the good sides of different cultures.”

Share and discuss “Turkish Student Association to sponsor Turkish classical music concert tonight” on social media.