Bullough named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

<p>Senior linebacker Max Bullough sacks Purdue quarterback Danny Etling during the game Oct. 19, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. Etling fumbled the ball, which then was picked up by senior linebacker Denicos Allen for the first touchdown of the game. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior linebacker Max Bullough sacks Purdue quarterback Danny Etling during the game Oct. 19, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. Etling fumbled the ball, which then was picked up by senior linebacker Denicos Allen for the first touchdown of the game. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Senior linebacker Max Bullough has been named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for the first time in his career for his team-high 10-tackle performance in MSU’s 14-0 win over Purdue.

That total includes two stops for loss and a sack, but Bullough’s biggest contribution against the Boilermakers was leveling quarterback Danny Etling. The devastating hit forced a fumble that senior linebacker Denicos Allen returned 45 yards to the end zone in the second quarter. It was MSU’s lone touchdown until the 8:55 mark in the fourth quarter.

Saturday was the first Big Ten shutout for the Spartans since 1999 when they beat Northwestern 34-0.

On Sunday, head coach Mark Dantonio called Bullough “a controlling figure” for the nation’s No. 1-ranked defense.

“You have to have a guy that can play that gap, be physical and firm,” Dantonio said. “He most definitely does that.”

Bullough ranks third on the team in tackles with 42 stops so far, 6.5 of them for loss.

Share and discuss “Bullough named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week” on social media.