Only the elite: Kip Miller

<p>Kip Miller</p>

Kip Miller

Kip Miller can remember just about every time he’s put on a jersey at Munn Ice Arena.

The third generation MSU hockey player, who played from 1986-1990, will join four other former Spartan greats, including his cousin Ryan Miller, as the 2013 inductees for the Spartan Hall of Fame.

“I’ve been going to Munn forever; being able to walk in there and put on the jersey was always the best memory for me,” Miller said. “The way we played, the teammates I had, the linemates I had, the coaching we had. Everyday you were happy to be at the rink, and that was what was great. We were a really good team that year and we won a lot of games.”

Miller was sixth of ten members of his family to play hockey at MSU, and finished his career third on the all-time Spartan points (261) and goals (116), and the first Hobey Baker Memorial Award in Spartan history.

He said he’s been a Spartan since birth, and his dream was always to go to MSU and do something that would be remembered.

“For me, growing up being a Miller I was a Spartan from the get go,” he said. “Any Miller that could play hockey would want to go here. Living in Spartan land is the best life and once you get out of here you don’t realize how good you’ve got it.”

He said going in with Ryan makes the experience even better because he knows how hard it took to get to the next level.

While Miller doesn’t follow hockey as much as he’d like, every time the Michigan game rolls around her get goosebumps and remembers some of the best times he’s had in East Lansing.

After college, he had a 14-year run in professional hockey, including 449 games in the NHL and one minor league against his cousin Ryan, when he scored in the first period.

“I’ve looked at all the people in the hall of fame and those are all guys I grew up watching,” Miller said. “Living in Spartan land is the best life and once you get out of here you don’t realize how good you’ve got it until you’re gone.”

To read on other inductees of the Athletics Hall of Fame, visit the folowing: Henry Bullough, Morris Peterson, Jenna Wrobel and Ryan Miller

Share and discuss “Only the elite: Kip Miller” on social media.