OC Warner on offense reaction: 'We're not ignorant, we're not blind'

<p>Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook, 18, looks for an open pass, Sept. 7, 2013, against South Florida at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Bulls, 21-6. Margaux Forster/The State News </p>

Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook, 18, looks for an open pass, Sept. 7, 2013, against South Florida at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Bulls, 21-6. Margaux Forster/The State News

Photo by Margaux Forster | The State News

Co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner has been searching for the answer to the Spartans’ offensive woes.

But even after nearly three decades as a college coach, Warner has never seen a situation like the one now at MSU.

Through two games this season, the Spartans have played three different quarterbacks and are well on their way to a fourth, as freshman Damion Terry is expected to get No. 2 reps in practice leading up to the weekend’s game against Youngstown State (2 p.m., Big Ten Network).

As fans continue to express concern about the potential of the team’s offense against Youngstown State and beyond, Warner said it’s a ubiquitous feeling for the coaches as well.

“Concern would be the best word,” Warner said. “We’re not blind, we’re not ignorant; we know we got some issues that we’re trying to deal for. But we’re not in a panic mode. We’re trying to figure it out with the idea of long-term who at quarterback (will produce). Obviously, that’s a big thing.”

Senior quarterback Andrew Maxwell got the start for the Spartans in the team’s home opener against Western Michigan and split time in the game with sophomore Connor Cook. A week later, Cook received his first career start against South Florida and played the majority of the game he yielded several drives to Maxwell and redshirt freshman Tyler O’Connor.

During that span, MSU ranked 125 out of 126 teams in Football Outsiders’ S&P offensive ratings, which measures a team’s success rate, drive efficiency, opponent adjustments and point values for every play in a game.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said the goal for the team’s offense remains to make improvements and look to make explosive plays, which Dantonio defines as a 20-yard pass or a 15-yard run.

“I still maintain that our players, they have the athletic ability to make plays,” Dantonio said on Tuesday. “We got to find a rhythm. I also believe when we do, it will turn when we do, there will be a momentum surge, not just for the offense but for our entire football team.”

Coming into the week, sophomore Connor Cook is expected to get No. 1 reps in practice while Terry is waiting in the wings with No. 2 reps, which should come as a delight to the MSU fanbase that has chanted “We want Terry” in each of the first two games at Spartan Stadium.

On Tuesday, Dantonio said playing Terry is a “delicate situation,” citing the desire not to lose Terry’s redshirt over playing a single game if he’s not going to see game action on a consistent basis.

But whether Terry’s actually ready to get in the game remains to be seen, Warner said.

“If Coach D says he’s ready, I guess he is,” Warner said. “You know, that’s certainly a decision he has to make.”

Giving Terry the chance to play would not be uncharacteristic of an MSU team that’s hungry for improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

Dantonio took the redshirt off freshman wide receiver R.J. Shelton against South Florida and he’s slated to get No. 2 reps during the week in preparation for Youngstown State.

“If the opportunity comes, I’m going to seize it and I’m going to challenge myself to make the play,” Shelton said. “It goes for all of our wide receivers; it’s not just me. When the ball is up in the air, we’re going to go up and make a play.”

Share and discuss “OC Warner on offense reaction: 'We're not ignorant, we're not blind'” on social media.