Ezra Robinson sentenced to court-ordered classes, fines for underage drinking and driving

<p>Redshirt freshman cornerback Ezra Robinson, right, exits the courtroom with defense attorney James Heos, left, after his Sept. 16, 2013 sentencing at the East Lansing 54B District Court, 101 Linden Street. Robinson was arrested in July for an underage drinking and driving offense. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Redshirt freshman cornerback Ezra Robinson, right, exits the courtroom with defense attorney James Heos, left, after his Sept. 16, 2013 sentencing at the East Lansing 54B District Court, 101 Linden Street. Robinson was arrested in July for an underage drinking and driving offense. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

After pleading guilty to an underage drinking and driving charge earlier this summer, redshirt freshman cornerback Ezra Robinson now faces fines and court-ordered classes.

The Sarasota, Fla., native was sentenced to attend a victim impact panel and an alcohol highway safety class before 54-B District Court Judge Richard Ball early Monday morning. He also is required to pay $758 in fees by Nov. 15 or he will risk jail time.

In July, Robinson was arrested for underage drinking and driving during a traffic stop because he had a blood-alcohol level of .06 percent. He was charged under Michigan’s “zero tolerance” law, which severely limits the amount of alcohol minors can have in their system while driving.

He pleaded guilty to the charge on Aug. 9.

Robinson’s attorney, James Heos, said the 19-year-old got behind the wheel when the driver became too intoxicated to continue.

Heos said Robinson “now knows it was a bad mistake, and knows the alternative is to call someone who is not drinking.”

Share and discuss “Ezra Robinson sentenced to court-ordered classes, fines for underage drinking and driving” on social media.