MSU police receives award from MADD

Among four other agencies, the MSU Police Department was recognized with the Outstanding Law Enforcement Agency Award, awarded by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving, or MADD.

The award, which recognizes law enforcement agencies that excel at removing drunken drivers from Michigan roadways, was presented at the annual MADD Lifesavers Award Luncheon in Troy, Mich., last week.

“Along with their dedication to protecting the Michigan State University community by reducing the number of impaired incidents on the roads, the team has continued their outstanding education and prevention,” MADD Executive Director Tyler MacEachran said. “They have partnered with different student organizations and student centers to help increase awareness for students, residents and employees alike.”

What set the MSU Police Department apart from other police agencies was the prevention activities they take part in, MacEachran said. MSU Police Lt. Randy Holton said their department has put on about 75 prevention and educational programs during 2012.

The MSU Police Department also has a zero tolerance policy against drunken driving, Holton said.

Additionally, while at the luncheon, MSU police officer Casey Christman was awarded the 2013 MADD Michigan Lifesavers Certification of Recognition for Outstanding Officer. Christman, who has been with the MSU Police Department for almost eight years, works the night shift.

“I have received this award a couple other times,” Christman said. “I’ve spoken at their victim impact (presentation) with Spartans Against Drunk Driving. Typically, I speak about some of the instances I’ve come across; it’s insane how intoxicated some people get and then get behind the wheel.”

Christman recalled times when drunken drivers have been so intoxicated that they had to crawl out of the vehicle.

“It’s very important for people to really push people to keep their friends safe,” Christman said. “It’s not necessarily just having a (designated driver), but also there’s so many different taxi services that are so cheap.”

MADD gives the outstanding officer award out every year, although this is the first year that MADD has given awards to an entire department, Holton said.

“This is the first year they’ve had the Outstanding Law Enforcement Agency Award, (and) we were one of the first ones to receive it,” Holton said. “(It’s) nice because it justifies what we’re doing out there as an agency.”

Share and discuss “MSU police receives award from MADD” on social media.