Former MSU Karate Club leader remembered for passion, dedication to craft

<p>Bruce Henderson</p>

Bruce Henderson

Those who knew Bruce Henderson described him as outgoing, passionate and loyal.

A computer technician in the Waverly School District in Lansing and leader of the MSU Karate Club , Henderson touched many lives during his lifetime.

“He had a really good sense of humor (and) a real passion for anything he got involved in,” director of communications for the Waverly School District, Eldon McGraw , said.

Henderson was pronounced dead Saturday afternoon, after drowning in an area along Lake Michigan. He was 67.

Henderson was swimming with friends when he went underwater and was pulled out by friends. Witnesses on the beach attempted CPR until he was transported to the West Shore Medical Center in Manistee, Mich.

He began his involvement with the MSU Karate Club in 1965 . When anyone thought of the MSU Karate Club, they thought of Henderson, long-time friend John Williamson said.

“We’ve been best friends for 35 years,” Williamson said. “It’s hard to put into words what a friendship like that means.”

Under Henderson’s leadership, the MSU Karate Club produced more than 135 black belts. An engaging teacher and good friend, he demanded excellence in his students. Williamson, who is the most senior black belt, now is in charge of the club.

An MSU alumnus, Henderson remained an avid and loyal Spartan fan throughout his lifetime. He loved contributing his thoughts and experiences on the MSU Red Cedar Message Board , which is a Spartan fan message board, McGraw said.

“For me, (I’ll miss) his friendship and loyalty over the years,” McGraw said. “I enjoyed going to Spartan sports with him.”

Funeral plans still are pending, and friends planned a remembrance gathering at Beggars Banquet, 218 Abbott Rd., on Thursday evening.

Share and discuss “Former MSU Karate Club leader remembered for passion, dedication to craft” on social media.