Friday, September 20, 2024

Nature plaza to replace Morrill Hall in fall

From the dust, smoke and rubble of Morrill Hall, a commemorative plaza arises.

The plaza outlines where Morrill Hall once stood with lines of shade trees, flowering shrubs and features a main walkway that aligns with the path of the old hallway, MSU Landscape Architect Deb Kinney said. The walkway juts out, covering where Morrill Hall’s front porch originally was, and contains brick and concrete design resembling the hall’s window motif.

Kinney said during the demolition the crew salvaged bricks of Jacobsville Sandstone, a red sandstone from the Upper Peninsula that is no longer mined, and the landscapers will use it to create wall seats and columns containing historical plaques.

The design includes reusing artifacts in an attempt to recognize the history of the building, Kinney added.

“We’re acknowledging and celebrating the history of the campus and the growing population of women at the turn of the century,” she said.

The plaza was designed by an MSU student and picked by jurors in fall 2011, Kinney said.
By September all infrastructure — the paving, lighting, wall seats and benches will be done — but all the tree and shrub planting will take into the fall to complete, Kinney said.

MSU history professor Lisa Fine worked in Morrill Hall before the demolition and said she was upset to see it go, but thinks the plaza is an appealing commemoration.

“I like the design because (it’s) going to suggest the outline of the building,” Fine said. “It’s commemorating the building in its own way.”

Fine said it’s terrific that the plaza uses pieces of Morrill Hall.

“I’m a historian, so I like old and important things to be recognized,” she said. “This is a meaningful way to do that.”

MSU studio art senior Liz Welling said she disliked seeing one of MSU’s oldest buildings come down, but is hopeful toward the decision to construct a plaza instead of another university building.

“I’m glad they’re doing that because I was upset they were tearing it down,” Welling said. “I’m glad it’s not just being forgotten.”

While Welling is excited about the opportunities the plaza offers, she said she wishes the historic building still stood.

“I knew it was rotting and coming down,” she said. “But I’d rather see a renovation.”

Share and discuss “Nature plaza to replace Morrill Hall in fall” on social media.