E.L. looking to turn cracks into artwork

East Lansing’s Art Commission, or ELAC, met with the art selection panel Thursday to discuss the innovative new project called “East Lansing ‘Crack’ Art,”- which looks to take advantage of sidewalk and wall cracks with new art aspects. The project is planned to be displayed this fall.

Ami Van Antwerp, staff liaison of the art commission, said the ELAC is interested in encouraging artists to install small-scale installations in unexpected locations throughout the community.

“‘Crack’ art is created when an artist uses the existing physical environment, such as a crack in a wall, retaining wall, bollard, etc., as the inspiration of mural design,” Van Antwerp said. “The goal is to improve the overall aesthetic environment by installing spontaneous public art.”

The proposal, formally known as “Crack Art Mural,” was asked for its title to be changed by the panel members.

East Lansing Art Panel Member Teresa Dunn said she had a negative connotation to the word ‘crack’ on first impression, while Nancy House, another member of the art panel, said her first thought when reading the title was of crack cocaine.

Van Antwerp said the name might be shocking at first, but it then piques your interest and then you get it.

The ELAC is set to meet again on June 20 where the panel will iron out the final details before taking the project to city council members. The project must be approved by city council before instrumented in the fall, Van Antwerp said.

East Lansing Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett,- said the discussions during Thursday’s meeting were very positive and is thrilled about the possibilities the project offers to the city.

“People are excited at the possibility of making art available to a persons everyday (life) in a very spontaneous and creative way,” said Triplett, who’s also the city council liaison for the art commission. “East Lansing ‘Crack’ Art is part of a bigger conversation that the arts commission has had. This will be the first of many ideas of how to start unique and innovative projects that help people encounter art in their daily lives in East Lansing.”

Share and discuss “E.L. looking to turn cracks into artwork” on social media.