Education budget passed, Snyder's signature awaits

Universities are in for a 2 percent increase in state funding after the Legislature OK’d this year’s amount of state-aid for public educational institutions.

Now it just needs Gov. Rick Snyder’s signature to become law.

Jason Cody, an MSU spokesperson, said it’s too early to tell how the budget bump from $43.8 million to $47 million could impact tuition, but he did point out “as state aid has declined, many public universities have had to make up for that somehow.”

Republicans applauded the bill’s))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2013-HB-4228 passage Wednesday morning on the Senate floor, but Democrats shot back a volley of verbal assaults, demanding revisions before many lawmakers headed to Mackinac Island for a policy conference later that evening.

“They say two wrongs don’t make a right, but with this budget it looks like two majorities can make a wrong,” said Sen. Gretchen Whitmer, D-East Lansing. “This bill does nothing to counteract the unprecedented $2 billion slashed from our public schools under Governor Snyder and the legislative Republican majorities in the last three years — money that was used for corporate tax breaks.”

Sen. Steven Bieda, D-Warren, also criticized Republicans for the 15 percent cuts in university state-aid over the last ten years, and for using funds he said were intended for K-12 for universities.

But Republicans say they put money back into schools))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-SJ-05-29-051&query=on after approving slashes.

Sen. Roger Kahn, R-Saginaw, said K-12 students can expect a $30 per pupil funding increase, including pupil performance grants, technology grants and other boosts for specific programs.

Also rising to “make a technical correction” was Sen. Bruce Caswell, R-Hillsdale.

“I’ve heard the passion from the other side, and I appreciate it very much,” Caswell said.

But Caswell said Democrats failed to acknowledge money put back into the School Aid Fund after the slashes. That’s money used for K-12 education. He added that when you take into account the re-investment, the funds taken out seem less important.

Caswell didn’t deny that the cuts took place, however, or that the increases still fall short of pre-gouge levels.

Share and discuss “Education budget passed, Snyder's signature awaits” on social media.