MSU ice hockey defeats Alaska in first round of CCHA tournament, set to face Miami (Ohio)

Sitting in last place following the CCHA regular season, the MSU hockey team managed to defeat Alaska in the first round of the CCHA playoffs and advance to the quarterfinals.

The series went to a third game, in which the Spartans defeated the Nanooks, 4-3.

Heading into the second period tied at one, MSU scored two quick goals just 33 seconds apart to put the Spartans on top. Those two were scored by junior defenseman Jake Chelios and sophomore forward Matt Berry.

Captain and junior forward Greg Wolfe netted the first tally, and senior forward Anthony Hayes scored the fourth.

“I thought we defended really well, and we got pucks to the net,” MSU head coach Tom Anastos told msuspartans.com. “I thought we played a smart game, and played over a lot of adversity — the flu, and (junior forward Lee) Reimer being out — and you could see the fatigue. I’m so proud of a really gutty weekend by our guys. “

Freshman forward Jake Hildebrand made 27 saves for MSU after taking the net for the first time in the playoffs.

Next up for MSU in the CCHA quarterfinals is Miami (Ohio), the CCHA regular season champions.

Share and discuss “MSU ice hockey defeats Alaska in first round of CCHA tournament, set to face Miami (Ohio)” on social media.