Sunday, May 12, 2024

Maru Sushi and Grill to add E.L. location

<p>Sushi chef Caleb Brown preps for dinner service Feb. 19, 2013, at Maru Sushi and Grill, 5100 Marsh Road in Okemos. Maru Sushi and Grill is trying to expand into East Lansing and open a location at 1500 W. Lake Lansing Road. </p>

Sushi chef Caleb Brown preps for dinner service Feb. 19, 2013, at Maru Sushi and Grill, 5100 Marsh Road in Okemos. Maru Sushi and Grill is trying to expand into East Lansing and open a location at 1500 W. Lake Lansing Road.

The East Lansing City Council unanimously approved a new sushi restaurant to be built on West Lake Lansing Road during Tuesday’s regular meeting at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

The restaurant, Maru Sushi and Grill, is owned by alumnus Robert M. Song, who also owns Maru establishments in Okemos and Grand Rapids.

In previous discussions about the restaurant, both city council and the planning commission found no major concerns with the establishment.

At last Tuesday’s regular work session, the council asked Planning and Zoning Administrator Darcy Schmitt to add a condition to the special use permit to require the restaurant close by midnight.

Song had no problem with the condition and said he always intended for his restaurant to close by 10 p.m.

“Something bad has to happen for that to change,” he said.

The council announced its support for the new restaurant. Mayor Diane Goddeeris said the restaurant will be a nice addition to the city.

“Your restaurant in Okemos is certainly one that’s been established as a really good neighbor,” she said. “We’re looking forward to having you as a good neighbor, too.”

The council also approved the city manager to execute a contract for more than $5 million to construct renovations to Michigan Avenue and Grand River Avenue.

The construction is scheduled to begin in March and is expected to be finished by mid-August.

The renovations will resurface Michigan Avenue between the west city limits and Grand River Avenue and on Grand River Avenue from the west city limits to the east.

The Federal Highway Department will provide more than $4.3 million to the $5.4 million dollar contract. The Michigan Department of Transportation will pay $904,600, and the city will pay the remaining amount of $300,150.

Share and discuss “Maru Sushi and Grill to add E.L. location” on social media.