Monday, May 6, 2024

Planning commission recommends council approve HopCat bar

<p>HopCat, 25 Ionia Ave. SW, in Grand Rapids, is applying to open a new location in the first floor of The Residences, 300 Grove St. Owner and alumnus Mark Sellers hopes to open the restaurant in August. </p>

HopCat, 25 Ionia Ave. SW, in Grand Rapids, is applying to open a new location in the first floor of The Residences, 300 Grove St. Owner and alumnus Mark Sellers hopes to open the restaurant in August.

The East Lansing Planning Commission voted 8-0 to recommend city council approve a HopCat bar and heard a rezoning request from a real estate developer during its Wednesday evening meeting at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

East Lansing’s HopCat is proposed to anchor the ground floor of The Residences, an eight-story student housing complex currently under construction in downtown East Lansing.

It will be the second Hopcat location; the original is located in Grand Rapids. HopCat is famous for its large selection of award-winning draft beers.

The new restaurant and bar will have a capacity of 270 persons with seating on the ground floor and mezzanine. A small outdoor patio is included in the designs.

Planning Commissioner Paul Stokstad expressed concern about the growing dominance of liquor-selling establishments in the downtown area.

“In my mind there is little doubt that liquor establishments currently are a dominant influence and feature of the downtown district,” Stokstad said. “Is (HopCat) going to cause that? No. Is (it) going to continue that? I suppose.”

According to Planning Commissioner Stephen Wooden’s calculations, the new establishment represents a two percent increase in the total number of liquor-selling establishments in East Lansing.

Also on the agenda was a public hearing of representatives from Aspen Heights, a real estate developer interested in constructing along Abbot Road.

The developer is planning to create cottage-style residences designed for college students. The committee discussed changing the zoning of the area to accommodate a higher housing density.

Share and discuss “Planning commission recommends council approve HopCat bar” on social media.