Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Couch burnings reported Tuesday after MSU loss

East Lansing firefighters and police responded to three couch fires and a dumpter fire between 10-11 p.m. Tuesday night in the Cedar Village area, including on Cedar Street.

The fires were reported after the MSU men’s basketball team lost to No. 1 Indiana, 72-68.

East Lansing fire Capt. Greg Baker said more than 10 students were outside taking pictures and watching the Cedar Street couch fire, but students were cooperative.

No students were in the area by the time East Lansing police responded, East Lansing police Sgt. Carl Nowak said.

Baker said it was “too cold” to draw huge crowds to the area, such as the mobs that overwhelmed local law enforcement during the 1980s and 2008 student riots commonly called Cedar Fest.

No suspicious activities were taking place when staff reporters were on the scene at about 10:40 p.m.
MSU police Sgt. Andrea Beasinger said no riot-type activities were reported on campus as of 10:30 p.m.

“I have to imagine if the weather was better and it was a weekend, things would have been different,” Baker said.

Share and discuss “Couch burnings reported Tuesday after MSU loss” on social media.