Wednesday, October 22, 2014 | Last updated: 1:24pm

Volleyball swept out of NCAA Tournament by Michigan

After an NCAA Tournament filled with triumph, the MSU volleyball team’s season came to a heartbreaking end after being swept by Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen.

Just like last meeting on Nov. 21, the Spartans were swept by the Wolverines in a tough fought battle (25-16, 26-24, 26-24).

The match started out all Michigan, as the Wolverines used 15 kills to blow out MSU in the first set, 16-25.

The second set showed more promise for the green and white, as they took a 19-16 lead late in the game. The wheels fell off the bus, however, as five late errors led to the Wolverines’ comeback to take the set, 26-24.

The third set held a similar story for the Spartans, as they lost the match on a 26-24 gut wrenching loss. During the set, the Spartans trailed for the better part of the game and made strong pushes near the end, but their efforts simply weren’t enough.

As the usual for the season, junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski led the team in kills, with 14.

Junior middle blocker Alexis Mathews held down the net with a team-high five blocks, and sophomore libero Kori Moster and Wicinski chipped in with 15 digs.

This season, the Spartans defeated three top-ten teams, making it a historic year of head coach Cathy George’s tenure.