MSU loses to U-M in GLI consolation game 5-2

<p>Wolverine goaltender Adam Janecyk braces himself as redshirt freshman Justin Hoomaian crashes the net Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Wolverines defeated the Spartans 5-2 during the Great Lakes Invitational third place game. Adam Toolin/The State News</p>

Wolverine goaltender Adam Janecyk braces himself as redshirt freshman Justin Hoomaian crashes the net Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Wolverines defeated the Spartans 5-2 during the Great Lakes Invitational third place game. Adam Toolin/The State News

The consolation game of the Great Lakes Invitational, or GLI, featured rivals MSU and U-M in a heated battle in which U-M prevailed, 5-2.

The match up at Joe Louis Arena got off to a quick start, with three goals in the first period — courtesy of U-M’s Lee Moffie and MSU sophomore forwards Tanner Sorenson and Matt Berry.

The game slowed down in the second period, with both teams unable to find the back of the net.

The third period proved to be a productive one for U-M, netting three goals.

An odd-man rush by the Wolverines early in the third tied the game up, and U-M pulled ahead minutes later with a power play goal.

With about ten minutes remaining, U-M’s Phil Di Guiseppe netted a goal following a backhanded pass from Luke Moffatt on one knee.

After a game misconduct and a five-minute major by Wolverines’ AJ Treais, U-M’s Hyman received a goal after being tripped when rushing an empty net.

Western Michigan and Michigan Tech will face off for the GLI Championship at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU loses to U-M in GLI consolation game 5-2” on social media.