Sticky notes cause smiles on campus

Tuesday night, members of the MSU group Spartan Body Pride took action to try and promote a positive view of students’ body image through Operation Beautiful.

MSU students came to the Union to write sticky notes with positive messages on them to put around campus throughout the week.

“Little simple things can’t change a whole culture’s view of body image … but you can do little things, and these little things will add up and change individuals,” said Erin Mobley, a member of Spartan Body Pride. “That’s our goal: to target (individual) people instead of big groups.”

Mobley said people who came out would fill out 10 sticky notes and then put the notes all around campus and in the dorms.

“We want to put notes on the mirrors because that’s where people are often so critical of themselves,” said Ronda Bokram, adviser for Spartan Body Pride and staff dietitian at Olin Health Center. “It made people smile when they looked in the mirror, and they don’t usually smile when they look in a mirror.”

Psychology sophomore Lauren Pohl said she came to the event to help women boost their self-esteem.

“I think even though it’s such a small thing, seeing and hearing positive things throughout (the) day lightens up people’s moods,” Pohl said.

The thing that made Mobley so happy about this event was its power to change people’s perceptions of themselves.

“This makes me happy that people can see these little messages and feel good about themselves,” Mobley said.

After organizing the event last year, Bokram said she decided to continue it on a larger scale this year after getting positive feedback.

“We would get emails and comments back about how it made people smile,” Bokram said. “How just someone saying to you ‘You’re OK’ can make you smile. They felt so good, and they normally hadn’t in a while. It’s a way to reach more people.”

Share and discuss “Sticky notes cause smiles on campus” on social media.