Michigan State University's Independent Voice Since 1909, East Lansing, MI

State News Logo

Thursday, August 21, 2014


  • Facebook Logo
  • Twitter Logo
  • RSS Feed Logo
  • Email Signup Logo



Reports sent to prosecutor in alleged shootings






Casteel

Casteel

The Ingham County Sheriff’s Office is waiting to see whether charges will be issued against the alleged I-96 corridor shooter and MSU alumnus Raulie Casteel.

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth said police submitted their investigation reports to Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III, and no charges have yet been issued against Casteel in Ingham County.

Casteel is the suspect in a series of 24 shootings from Oct. 16-27 along the I-96 and M-52 corridors in Ingham, Livingston, Shiawassee and Oakland counties.

Casteel has been in police custody since Nov. 5, and currently faces charges for 60 counts related to the shootings, some of which are counts of assault with intent to murder, for nine victims in Oakland county, The Detroit Free Press reported. Casteel also faces charges in Howell, Mich.

In Novi’s 52-1 District Court on Wednesday, Casteel was ordered to be examined for criminal responsibility and forensic competency, according to The Detroit Free Press.

Casteel’s former MSU roommate Chris Burns previously told The State News that during their time at MSU, Casteel never showed signs of being mentally unstable.

Casteel was a student at MSU from the fall of 1995 to the fall of 1997, graduating with a degree from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, university spokesman Jason Cody said in a previous interview.

But in an interview with The Detroit Free Press, Casteel’s mother said she is worried Casteel is
mentally ill.


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The State News.