Monday, May 13, 2024

Projection: President Barack Obama wins reelection

Supporters cheer as they learn that President Barack Obama is re-elected during an election night watch party on Tuesday, November 6, 2012, in Chicago, Illinois. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/MCT)

President Barack Obama swept his way into a second term in the White House after a slowly building electoral battle against his opponent, Republican Mitt Romney.

What looked like a close race until the end for Obama ended up turning his way after he scored some high electoral votes in California and Washington.

But in the end, swing state Ohio ended up tipping the president over the edge — he surpassed the necessary electoral vote count just after 11:15 p.m. when his Ohio grab pushed him up to 274 electoral vote — more than the necessary 270 to win the presidency.

Romney, who launched into the lead from the beginning and stayed there for several hours, still is up with 50 percent of the nation’s popular vote to Obama’s 49 percent as of projection time.

Share and discuss “Projection: President Barack Obama wins reelection” on social media.