Council discusses proposed bistro on Albert Avenue

At Wednesday’s city council meeting, council members discussed whether to allow a new restaurant with a liquor license occupy a space on Albert Ave.

The restaurant, called the Black Cat Bistro, would be located at 115 Albert Ave. next door to Menna’s Joint and also proposed is that the restaurant would have a class C liquor license, allowing it to serve alcohol.

After holding a public hearing, the council passed a motion to defer discussion until the Nov. 13 work session, and could make a vote at the Nov. 20 meeting.

Planning and Zoning Administrator Darcy Schmitt said the restaurant, if approved, would be higher-end and could attract students later in the evening.

“It’s always nice to have a variety of restaurants in the downtown area,” she said.

According to a staff report by the Department of Planning and Community Development, the proposed bistro would be able to hold 110 people in the inside of the restaurant and 48 on the outside patio.

The 115 Albert Ave. space was previously occupied by The Refinery, a clothing boutique that has been closed down since December 2011.

East Lansing Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett said to obtain the liquor license, the applicant of the restaurant will have to send an application to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission, or MLCC. The application will be reviewed by both the East Lansing Police Department and East Lansing City Council, but the MLCC will have final approval to issue the license.
Triplett said he thinks it is important to have variety of options downtown and to attract and retain establishments.

During the meeting, Triplett expressed worries about the amount of people that would be able to fit on the patio and in the restaurant.

Thomas Alimonos, owner of Georgio’s Gourmet Pizza and co-applicant of the proposed Black Cat Bistro, said during the meeting having the patio, along with the restaurant staying open till 2 a.m., is “essential” for the success of the proposed bistro.

Applicant attorney Michael Brown described the bistro as “classy” and “mature.”

Mayor Diane Goddeeris said she has heard citizens worried “that the money is in the alcohol versus the money is in the fine dining.”

Share and discuss “Council discusses proposed bistro on Albert Avenue” on social media.