Trustees approve authorization to plan for new Multicultural Center in Union

At its monthly meeting Friday, the MSU Board of Trustees voted to approve an authorization to plan for a new Multicultural Center and North Campus Neighborhood Engagement Center in the Union.

The Multicultural Center, which currently is located in the basement of the Union, is expected to be moved to the second floor to allow for more space, said Denise Maybank, MSU’s vice president for student affairs and services.

Maybank said during the meeting it was crucial for this move to happen.

“It’s an opportunity to bring students to one place and improve its visibility and purpose,” Maybank said.

The engagement center is set to be placed across from the Multicultural Center and, upon completion, would be the fifth and final one on the MSU campus, said Vennie Gore, the assistant vice president for Residential and Hospitality Services.

There currently are engagement centers in Hubbard Hall, Holden Hall, Brody Square and McDonel Hall. They offer many services, such as writing and math tutoring, public computers and health clinics.

However, the Union will not provide health services because of the proximity to Olin Health Center, said Kat Cooper, the communications manager for Auxiliary Resources, the department that manages the building.

The board also approved a recommendation to appoint current vice president for finance and operations Fred Poston as dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

Poston served as the dean of the college for eight years prior to accepting his current job.

The move will be effective Jan. 1, 2013, and Poston will replace Douglas Buhler — who has served as the interim dean of the college since January 2011.

Trustee Melanie Foster said the move was a positive one that will benefit the college.

“I know that many (agriculture) leadership people around the state are very excited about this (move),” Foster said.

The trustees also approved an authorization to proceed with construction of a new high bay facility a building related to the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams.

The building will serve as a space to construct technical equipment for the project.

Construction for the $15.5 million project is expected to begin in March 2013 and be completed by March 2014, according to board documents.

Share and discuss “Trustees approve authorization to plan for new Multicultural Center in Union” on social media.