Glow Green back for 2nd year

<p>Physiology junior Daniel Aaron receives green light bulbs from physiology junior Jason Unold, who works at Student Alumni Foundation on Monday, Oct. 1, 2012 at <span class="caps">MSU</span> Union. <span class="caps">SAF</span> is giving away free light bulbs ahead of Homecoming. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Physiology junior Daniel Aaron receives green light bulbs from physiology junior Jason Unold, who works at Student Alumni Foundation on Monday, Oct. 1, 2012 at MSU Union. SAF is giving away free light bulbs ahead of Homecoming. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

As the streets of East Lansing flood with Spartans this Homecoming, some parts of East Lansing might soon fill with a green glow.

This fall, the MSU Alumni Association is celebrating the second year of the Homecoming tradition, Glow Green. Students, alumni, staff and fans can pick up a free green, energy-efficient light bulb to place in any apartment, house or residence hall.

Students can bring their MSU ID to the Student Alumni Foundation, or SAF, office, room 333 in the Union, to receive a free light bulb. Alumni and fans can visit the MSU Alumni Association office, located in room 300 on the third level of Spartan Stadium to receive a light bulb.

SAF Director Dan DiMaggio said Consumers Energy donated 10,000 energy-efficient light bulbs to help celebrate the Homecoming tradition.

During the Ohio State football game Sept. 29, a Glow Green promotional video, featuring various administrators and coaches, played during the game.

DiMaggio said he likes the idea of Glow Green as a long-lasting Homecoming tradition.

“It’s just to simply show your support for the university, and what hopefully will become a Homecoming tradition for years to come,” DiMaggio said.

Glow Green participants can email a photo of their light bulb glowing green to crossreg@msu.edu to be entered in a contest to win a mini football helmet autographed by MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio, a $50 gift card to the Spartan Bookstore or an MSU banner. The photos also will be featured on the MSU Alumni Association’s website.

After picking up his very own green light bulbs Monday afternoon, human biology junior Brian Rashid said he loves the idea of Glow Green. Rashid said he plans to change the usual light bulbs in his apartment of his apartment to green bulbs.

“My friend told me (about it), and I saw people have (green light bulbs) last year,” Rashid said. “I never got one, (and I) figured I didn’t (want to) miss out this year.”

DiMaggio said some of the light bulbs in the buildings on campus are changing to green ones in support of MSU and Glow Green.

Erica Zazo, journalism junior and vice president of marketing and membership services for the SAF, said she likes walking around East Lansing and seeing everything glow green.

“We are just helping to feed the tradition of Glow Green,” Zazo said.

“It’s cool to see the buildings on campus swap their light bulbs out for green bulbs.”

DiMaggio said Glow Green is an easy way for Spartan fans to show their MSU pride.

“It’s something simple that every (alumni member) or student can do, and it shows your support for the university,” he said.

Share and discuss “Glow Green back for 2nd year” on social media.