MSU alumna rows on despite assault

Former MSU student Jenn Gibbons has vowed to continue her 1,500-mile journey around the perimeter of Lake Michigan after being sexually assaulted on July 22 while docked in the Upper Peninsula.

Gibbons, a Battle Creek, Mich., native, is making the trek around the lake to spread awareness and raise funds for women with breast cancer. She began June 15 and halted following the event that took place that Sunday morning.

The attack occurred in the early hours of the morning that day in an area south of Gulliver, Mich., along Lake Michigan in Mueller Township in Schoolcraft County, according to a release from the Michigan State Police post in St. Ignace, Mich.

“My chin is up, my eyes are open and we’re going to get this show back on the road (then water),” Gibbons said in a statement on her website.

She won’t travel alone anymore either, as a support crew will be with her during her biking portion and others will be on hand at the remaining docks and harbors throughout the trip.

Recovery On Water, Gibbons’ organization, aims to provide support for breast cancer victims and survivors.

The State News reached out to Gibbons Friday, but she canceled her media availability, Stephanie Hlywak, the public relations contact on Gibbons’ website, said in an email.

“We want to tell the story, but we need to make sure that Jenn is in a good place emotionally,” Hlywak said.