Students boost job opportunities in Africa with bra drive

More than just spirits will be lifted thanks to MSU students who donated their bras to help stop sex trafficking in Africa.

About 70 bras were collected at the International Center on Tuesday for the Free The Girls bra drive, co-hosted by the Phi Sigma Pi and Alpha Phi Omega fraternities. The drive was part of a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Free The Girls, which helps to provide job opportunities to women rescued from sex trafficking in Africa.

“We thought (the bra drive) was something really cool that could draw a lot of people’s attention,” said Julia Fellows, a co-chair of the event.

The organization accepts new or gently used bras of all kinds.

Fellows said because secondhand clothing is a profitable market in many countries around the world and because bras are considered to be a luxury item, the women in the Free The Girls program can make up to five times the minimum wage by selling bras, which can keep them off the streets and out of the sex trade.

Professional writing and women’s and gender studies junior Allegra Smith, who heard about the event from her roommate, squeezed in a visit and brought two bras that didn’t fit her anymore to the drive.

“I think that it’s a great opportunity to help women and their families to start businesses and to feed themselves,” Smith said. “I think it’s really important to empower women, especially those internationally.”

Fellows said men also can offer their support by donating money to the cause. She said $1 buys a strap for a bra, $5 buys a cup and $10 buys a whole bra, which can make a big difference in helping the fundraiser.

“Everybody can help out,” said Rhianna Fleisher, a human biology freshman and member of Phi Sigma Pi, who stopped by to help out Tuesday. “It’s cool because what we aren’t using can actually be useful. I had a bunch of bras just sitting in the back of my closet, and I was just going to throw them away.”

Those interested in donating can bounce by Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the International Center, and members said they hope to collect a sizable amount of bras to donate.

“It’s a symbolic gesture as people of a developed nation to give our goods so that women in developing nations can have better lives,” Smith said. “And as a women’s and gender studies major, I appreciated that.”

Share and discuss “Students boost job opportunities in Africa with bra drive” on social media.