This break, heed open road’s call

<p>Hokans</p>

Hokans

If you’re like me, then it’s getting to that point in the semester where spring break can’t come soon enough. As midterms, papers and more creep up, break has become my light at the end of the tunnel. Unlike many students, thoughts of the tropics aren’t what’s pushing me onwards at this point. Rather, 4 million miles of highways and the promise of joining in a great American tradition fill my mind with hope and anticipation. And you can feel the same way if you ditch the vacation norm this year and plan on hitting the open road instead.

It’s easy to see why a road trip is the superior route to excitement and recovery during spring break. No matter which path you set out on, unexpected beauty, unknown adventure and personal growth lay in wait. With minimal planning between study sessions, your destiny could soon be in your hands as the worries of the world pass away with the mile markers.

In fact, embarking on a do-it-yourself vacation such as this is part of an American tradition of travel that spans centuries. From Lewis and Clark to the Joad Family, Jack Kerouac and beyond, the act of getting out there and discovering something new holds a special place in our culture. Maybe it’s our restless nature or rugged individualism, but no American coming-of-age journey is complete without a road trip.

On the other hand, dreams of lounging in the sand are certainly not what has motivated the American traveler throughout the years. Spring break in the tropics might be alluring this time of year, but in reality it’s just transplanting regular weekend activities to a new place and climate. Alas, if these are your plans, you’ve booked tickets already. But maybe I can still sway you toward the righteousness of road tripping for the future.

Why settle for the planned comforts of a resort when you can reignite your zeal for seeking out happiness on your own terms out there on the road? Travel should not be a mere detour from life, but rather an unforgettable addition to it. Which is why Mark Twain said “travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” So here’s a few tips I’ve collected from my time behind the wheel that should help you get started on a journey of your own.

Picking a destination seems to be the logical place to start, but its importance actually is pretty trivial. Your destination shouldn’t be set in stone. In fact, the more mysterious the better. Maybe something from rural folklore or the last known whereabouts of a dead celebrity. All good things to research while pretending to write that paper or finish that study guide. Numerous alluring endpoints can be found right here in Michigan, too, especially looking to the great white north.

Accommodations and side excursions are the next step, but these too require little forethought. If you’re headed into warmth, campgrounds or sleeping in your car are fine. Just beware of local vagrancy laws if you try the latter. And as far as finding interesting pit stops goes, I’ve found no better resource than brochure racks in local diners and rest stops.

As you can see, getting started is no problem. But once on the road, matters of real importance quickly present themselves: music, food and friends. Be sure to create a good playlist — another distraction to liven your spirits during the midterm grind. Check out RollingStone.com for the best road trip songs of all time. As for cuisine, beef jerky is better for you than you think. Or go for the local diner and hope there’s a shrouded stranger at the bar to engage for mysteries of the local history.

Don’t let friendly disputes over bladder control, the weirdness of sleeping head to toe or the peculiar smell of nacho cheese Doritos ruin the ride, either. Just remember the driver holds supreme authority over all such disputes. Oh and forget the laptop for a week and opt for a good camera instead.

By keeping these tips in mind, the road will be a source of ceaseless joy no matter if your trip lasts for a day or a week. Despite car troubles, navigational mishaps and radio disputes, some of my fondest memories are of cruising with friends to no place in particular. So this spring break, stay at a cheap motel, gaze at the beauty of the countryside, buy some tacky souvenirs and find out something new about yourself.

Christian Hokans is a State News guest columnist and political theory and constitutional democracy junior. Reach him at hokansch@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “This break, heed open road’s call” on social media.